Celebrity Circus (U.S. TV series)
|Presented by||Joey Fatone|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Executive producer(s)||Matt Kunitz|
|Running time||90 minutes (premiere, ep 2)
60 minutes (episodes 3-6)
|Production company(s)||Endemol USA|
|Picture format||480i NTSC|
|Original run||June 11, 2008 – July 16, 2008|
|Related shows||Celebrity Circus (Australia)
Cirque de Celebrité
Celebrity Circus is an American version of the Celebrity Circus reality television show based on the Portuguese television series of Circus of the Celebrities, not to be confused with Australian TV series of the same name that aired in 2005. The show is produced by Endemol USA with Matt Kunitz as executive producer and Rick Ringbakk as co-executive producer.
On March 13, 2009, it was confirmed that the series had been canceled and would not be returning for a second season.
The show is hosted by Joey Fatone. The judges for the series are Olympic gymnast Mitch Gaylord, contortionist Aurelia Cats and choreographer Louie Spence who is also a judge on the British version.
The celebrities are trained to perform various circus acts, and compete with each other for points from the judges and phone votes from the public on premium rated lines or by online voting via the official website. The acts are interspersed with banter and video from the training sessions and interviews. The two scores are combined, 50% judges vote and 50% phone votes, and the celebrity with the lowest combined score is eliminated.
NBC announced the first season of Celebrity Circus on January 18, 2008 on the same day ABC announced it was in negotiations on a revival of Circus of the Stars. On March 8, 2008 NBC announced the network's 2008 summer schedule with a two hour premiere on June 11, 2008. Shortly after, on April 16, 2008 ABC announced the network decided to pass on a revival of Circus of the Stars due to NBC premiering Celebrity Circus.
NBC later announced that Celebrity Circus would have a ninety minute premiere on June 11, 2008 instead of a two hour premiere. Beginning on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 Celebrity Circus will air one hour episodes at 9:00 PM ET/PT. NBC announced on April 23, 2008 the host for the show would be former *NSYNC member Joey Fatone with originally Antonio Sabato, Jr., Blu Cantrell, Christopher Knight, Janet Evans, Jason "Wee Man" Acuña and Rachel Hunter taking part. A seventh celebrity, Stacey Dash was revealed on June 9, 2008.
In Week 3, Stacey Dash earned the first 10. In Week 4, Wee Man earned the first average of 10.
Blu Cantrell was the first contestant eliminated from the Celebrity Circus on June 18, 2008. Janet Evans was the second contestant eliminated from the show on June 25, 2008. Christopher Knight was not eliminated on July 2, 2008, but was forced to withdraw after breaking his arm again during rehearsal (he had fractured it in Week 1).
Celebrities taking part in Celebrity Circus are:
|Celebrity||Famous for||Week of departure|
|Antonio Sabato, Jr.||Actor, General Hospital; The Bold and the Beautiful||
Winner July 16, 2008
|Blu Cantrell||R&B and soul singer||
Eliminated June 18, 2008
|Christopher Knight||Actor, The Brady Bunch; The Surreal Life cast member||
Withdrew July 2, 2008
|Janet Evans||American Olympic competitive swimmer||
Eliminated June 25, 2008
|Jason "Wee Man" Acuña||Jackass cast member, host of 54321||
3rd Place July 16, 2008
|Rachel Hunter||Model and actress||
Eliminated July 9, 2008
|Stacey Dash||Actress, Clueless TV-series cast member||
2nd Place July 16, 2008
|Antonio Sabato, Jr.||Bottom 2||Bottom 4||Bottom 2||Winner|
|Stacey Dash||Bottom 2||Bottom 3||Runner-Up|
|Jason "Wee Man" Acuña||Bottom 3||Bottom 3||Bottom 3||3rd Place|
|Rachel Hunter||Bottom 2||Bottom 2||Eliminated|
|Christopher Knight||Bottom 4||Withdrew|
- "NBC'S "CELEBRITY CIRCUS" HITS THE HIGH WIRE WITH ALL-STAR CAST TO COMPETE IN DEATH DEFYING CIRCUS ACTS HOSTED BY JOEY FATONE TO PREMIERE ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 11 (9:30-11 P.M. ET)". NBC/The Futon Critic. April 23, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- 2008 - 2009 Cancelled Shows: NBC Cancels 10 Television Series
- Voting Rules NBC official site Retrieved June 11, 2008
- "NBC INVITES VIEWERS TO RUN OFF AND JOIN THE CIRCUS THIS SUMMER AS NETWORK PICKS UP INTERNATIONAL HIT SERIES 'CELEBRITY CIRCUS' FROM THE PRODUCERS OF 'DEAL OR NO DEAL'". NBC/The Futon Critic. January 18, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- "NBC Runs Off to the 'Circus'". [Zap2It.com]. January 18, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- "DEVELOPMENT UPDATE: WEEK OF JANUARY 14-18". Zap2It.com. January 18, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- "DEVELOPMENT UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, APRIL 16". The Futon Critic. April 16, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-12.
- Strauss, Gary (June 9, 2008). "Celebrities jump through hoops to star on 'Circus'". USA Today. Retrieved 2008-06-12.