Celia Rivenbark is humor columnist and author. She was born in Duplin County, North Carolina, where she remained for most of her life. She continued to live in the country side of Duplin County and away from urban life. Having completed twenty-one years of journalism, she married Scott Whisnant, a sportswriter at the time and now the Director of Government Relations for New Hanover Health Network. Scott Whisnant authored Innocent Victims, which was a bestseller. Currently, Celia Rivenbark resides in Wilmington, North Carolina with her husband and daughter, Sophie.
Rivenbark graduated from college and immediately placed herself in a job writing for her hometown paper, The Wallace Enterprise. She soon became employed at the Wilmington, North Carolina Morning Star where she began creating a humor column. Her increasing popularity of greater than 50,000 readers provided her with a national health journalism award in addition to innumerable press awards. She authored weekly humor columns for Sun News of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina as well. Rivenbark's columns were further distributed as a collection of her columns was circulated in 2000 by the Coastal Carolina Press.
A handful of Rivenbark's books were nominated for the James Thurber Prize: Bless Your Heart, Tramp in 2001, We're Just Like You, Only Prettier (finalist) in 2004, and Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits (semi-finalist) in 2006.The aforementioned We're Just Like You, Only Prettier(2004), Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits(2006), and You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning(2010) were finalists as Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance Nonfiction Book of the Year title, with We're Just Like You, Only Prettier gaining the title in 2004. Entertainment Weekly Magazine designated her Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank as 2006's best title. You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl was a New York Times bestseller.
Celia Rivenbark's Literary Works
- Bless Your Heart, Tramp, 2000
- We're Just Like You, Only Prettier, 2004
- Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank, 2006
- Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits, 2008
- You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning, 2009
- You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool, 2011
- The Height of Rudeness, 2013
- Greensboro North Carolina News & Record
- Rivenbark's column at Myrtle Beach Sun News
- New York Times bestseller list for September 4, 2011