|[ cell 7 ]|
|Origin||Perth, Western Australia, Australia|
|Genres||Electronic, industrial, IDM|
[ cell 7 ] is an electronic industrial band formed in Perth, Western Australia. Starting in the early 1990s, [ cell 7 ] was initially influenced by IDM artists such as Autechre and Aphex Twin as well as the more mainstream sounds of Depeche Mode, the Cure and Nine Inch Nails. The band has been referred to as 'endustrial'  in sound, possibly to indicate the distinction between [ cell 7 ] and the normal perception of the industrial genre. The band is a duo consisting of Nick Mueller and Paul Harrison, with occasional additional live performers.
Nick and Paul both grew up in the hills of Perth, attending the same primary school. Meeting up again at university, after Mueller had trained in classical music, they began experimenting with sounds and instrumentation, combining alt-metal, gothic and industrial noise elements with synth-pop, techno and electronica. They built a strong local following which was recognized with [ cell 7 ] winning 3 consecutive WAMI awards (1999, 2000, 2001) and performing live on RTRFM. A limited edition mini-album (300 signed and numbered EPs) Precognition was released, selling out in under 72 hours.
In late 2001 both members relocated to Sydney, Australia for work reasons, and [ cell 7 ] took a hiatus from live performance. As Nick explained in a 4ZZZ radio interview - “real life got in the way”.
In 2007, Nick moved to Amsterdam in the Netherlands and there completed the recording and production on a full-length album. RE:COGNITION was digitally released worldwide in late 2009, reaching number 1 on the FiXT Music store sales and critical acclaim. The album was named as one of FiXTs 'Must Have Albums', and the opening track ‘Red’ was selected by FiXT Records to be remixed by their online community, with the resulting album RED: the FiXT REMIXES released in June 2011 (containing 6 additional mixes and a previously unreleased track, Splinter).
- Nick Mueller (vox, guitars, synthesizers, violin, percussion)
- Paul Harrison (piano, synthesizers)
Previous Live Members
- David Thomas (synthesizers)
- Daniel Clarke (guitars)
- Anabel Nguyen (vox, synthesizers)
- [ cell 7 ] - Precognition (independent release EP, 2000)
- [ cell 7 ] - RE:COGNITION (Cognition Records CD, 2009)
- compilation - Kiss My WAMI 2000 (WAMI, 2000)
- compilation - Dark Eyed and Starry They Were: Volume 2 (Heartland Records, 2000)
- compilation - Septic IX (Dependent Records, 2010)
- FiXT remix - RED: the FiXT remixes (FiXT, 2011)
- Sphere Magazine, [ cell 7 ] RE:COGNITION review, July 2010 http://www.spheremag.co.uk/reviews/cd/1510-cd-review-cell-7-recognition
- ‘Dark Essence’ interview, 4ZZZ radio, Brisbane, April 2010 http://soundcloud.com/cell7/cell7_interview_nick_march2010
- Septic IX review, http://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8247&Itemid=44, Sebastian Huhn, September 2010