Cello Dias at Against All Will photo shoot session
|Birth name||Marcelo Dias|
|Also known as||Marcello D. Rapp, Cello Dias|
|Origin||Sao Caetano Do Sul, Sao Paulo, Brazil|
|Genres||Alternative rock, hard rock, heavy metal|
|Instruments||Bass, guitar, drums, keyboards, backing vocals, programming, sampler, sitar, percussion, double bass|
|Years active||1988 – present|
|Associated acts||Soulfly, Abloom, Against All Will|
He began his career in 1988 playing bass for the Brazilian thrash metal band The Mist, who had just changed their name from Mayhem following a number of line-up changes. On their first album Phantasmagoria released in 1989, they most notably featured Chakal singer Vladimir Korg on vocals and boasted a twin guitar line-up displaying a progressive mix of aggressive thrash and gothic atmosphere. For their second album, 1991's The Hangman Tree, former Sepultura guitarist Jairo Guedz took over full guitar duties for the band, reducing the band to a four-piece whilst further expanding the unique sound of the debut. Vocalist Korg left after the second album, further reducing the line-up to a trio for which Marcelo took over vocal duties for their third album, Ashes To Ashes, Dust To Dust released in 1993 which showed the band adopting a more contemporary groove-metal sound. Following this release, Marcelo left the band and was replaced by Cassiano Gobbet on both bass and vocals for their final album, 1995's Gottverlassen before splitting in 1997.
Following this, Marcelo Dias (a.k.a. Marcello D. Rapp) found international fame as the former bass player for the Heavy Metal veteran band Soulfly. His collaboration to the band’s first 3 albums (Soulfly, Primitive and Soulfly 3) were essential and indeed established his professional level earned him certified RIAA Gold records in the US as well in oversea countries, selling more than 2 millions copies world wide.
With Soulfly, they incorporates many styles of metal with Brazilian tribal and world music. Cello had his first 3 studio albums debut on the United States Billboard 200, with a peak position at number 32 for their second album, Primitive. Their debut album, Soulfly, has been certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.
Along with band mates Mikey Doling, Roy Mayorga and One Side Zero's Jasan Radford and Levon Sultanian, they formed Abloom. Performing shows from California to New York, they achieved quickly national status for an unsigned band. With System Of A Down bassist's Shavo Odadjian as their executive producer, they recorded a full length album on their own, with an open agenda to negotiate any future deals. Currently, Abloom is on hiatus but are looking to start up again in the near future.
Against All Will
As Cello's current band, Against All Will consists of Puddle of Mudd's main song writer Jimmy Allen on guitars, Jeff Current (Seven Story Drop) on vocals and Phillip Gonyea (Instinct of Aggression) on drums. The band finished their independent album A Rhyme & Reason in December 2009 and performed shows throughout the country in Spring 2010.
In 2005 he appeared as one of the bass players on the Roadrunner United compilation CD, The All-Star Sessions along with Fear Factory guitarist Dino Cazares, Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour), Andreas Kisser (Sepultura) among many others.
- ESP - MD 500 Signature Bass.
- Fernandes Gravity 5 Deluxe.
- Ampeg SVT 4 Pro Bass Amplifier and SVT 810E cabinet.
- Morley Pedals
- Tech21 Sans Amp PSA1
- DR Strings
- Monster Cables
Full Length Records
- 1989: The Mist - Phantasmagoria (Cogumelo Records)
- 1991: The Mist - The Hangman Tree (Cogumelo Records)
- 1993: The Mist - Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust (Cogumelo Records)
- 1998: Soulfly - Self Title (Roadrunner Records)
- 2000: Soulfly - Primitive (Roadrunner Records)
- 2002: Soulfly - 3 (Roadrunner Records)
- 2004: Abloom - Self Title (Independent)
- 2009: Agony - Devil's Breath (Independent)
- 1998: "Umbabarauma" (Jorge Ben cover)
- 1998: "Bleed" (feat. Fred Durst)
- 2000: "Back to the Primitive"
- 1998: Bleed
- 2000: Back to the Primitive
- 2002: Seek 'n' Strike
- "Top Music Charts - Hot 100 - Billboard 200 - Music Genre Sales". Billboard Music Charts. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- "GOLD AND PLATINUM - Searchable Database". RIAA. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
- "ROADRUNNER "ALL- STARS" ALBUM, A CELEBRATION OF LABEL'S 25TH ANNIVERSARY". ROADRUNNER RECORDS. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "ESP SIGNATURE SERIES GUITARS: MARCELO DIAS". Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "Fernandes Guitars: Artists". Retrieved 2009-11-06.