Çandar at the Halifax International Security Forum in 2012
|Born||1948 (age 66–67)|
|Alma mater||Ankara University|
|Occupation||Journalist, war correspondent|
He finished the secondary school at Talas American College in Talas, Kayseri and the high school at Tarsus American College in Tarsus, Mersin. Çandar graduated from Ankara University in 1970 with a Bachelor's degree in political science and international relations.
He began his career as journalist in 1976 for the newspaper Vatan after living in the Middle East and Europe due to his opposition to the regime in Turkey following the military intervention in 1971. Being an expert on the Middle East (Lebanon and Palestine) and the Balkans (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Çandar worked for the Turkish News Agency and for the leading Turkish newspapers Cumhuriyet, Hürriyet, Referans and Güneş as a war correspondent. Currently, he is a columnist for Radikal.
Çandar served as special adviser to Turkish president Turgut Özal between 1991 and 1993. His interest was drawn to the events during the ethnic unrest in the Balkans between 1993 and 1995. From 1997, Çandar lectured for two years on "History and Politics in the Middle East" at Bilgi University in İstanbul. Between 1999 and 2000, he did research work on "Turkey of the 21st century" as a Public Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and a Senior Fellow at the United States Institute of Peace. His description of the 1998 events in Turkey as a "post-modern coup" gained notice internationally, though Radikal columnist Türker Alkan had used the term two weeks earlier.
The English translations of these titles are not the official titles.
- Direnen Filistin (The Palestine that Resists) (1976)
- Dünden Yarına İran (Iran: From Yesterday to Tomorrow) (1981)
- Ortadoğu Çıkmazı (The Middle East Impassé) (1983)
- Tarihle Randevu (Rendezvous with History) (1983)
- Güneşin Yedi Rengi (The Seven Colours of the Sun) (1987)
- Author biography at İz publications (Turkish)
- Çandar, Cengiz (October 2000). "A Turk in the Palestinian Resistance". Journal of Palestine Studies (University of California Press) 30 (1): 68–82. doi:10.1525/jps.2000.30.1.02p01086.
- Contributions at Referans (Turkish)
- "Cengiz Çandar artık Radikal'de". Radikal (in Turkish). 2008-08-30. Retrieved 2008-08-30.
- "Documents and Papers: Commentaries". Southeast Europe Project. Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Retrieved 2008-07-27.
- Çandar, Cengiz (1997-06-27). "Post-modern darbe". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-07-27.
- Rosen, Seth (2008-07-27). "Reforms curb Turkey's armed forces". Washington Times. Retrieved 2005-06-25.
- Demir, Metehan (2007-02-27). "'Post-modern darbe' tanımının 10 yıllık sırrı". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-07-27.
- Çandar, Cengiz (2007-03-30). "The so-called ‘Akdamar museum’". Turkish Daily News. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- Çandar, Cengiz. "Ahtamar Kilisesi ya da sözde Akdamar Müzesi", Hürriyet, March 29, 2007 (Turkish)
- Çandar, Cengiz (2007-03-23). "Beyazdamar kilisesi ve diğerleri". Agos (in Turkish). Archived from the original on 2007-03-29.