44-46 Kampala Road
|John Ddumba Ssentamu
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax: US$26.6 million (UGX:73.8 billion) (2014)|
|Total assets||US$576 million (UGX:1.6+ trillion) (2014)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||LOVE UNITE AND SERVE|
The bank is a large financial services provider in Uganda. It is primarily involved in the promotion of development through loans to rural farmers, processors of agricultural produce, small manufacturers, small traders, importers and exporters. While engaged in all areas of commercial banking, Centenary Bank has a significant portion of its portfolio in the microfinance arena in an attempt to meet the needs of the many individuals and business entities with limited means that the bank serves. As of December 2014[update], Centenary Bank had an asset base that was valued at approximately US$576 million (UGX:1.6+ trillion). This represented 9.01% of all banking assets in the country, making Centenary Bank the fourth-largest commercial bank in the country at that time.
The bank was founded in 1983 as a credit trust, Centenary Rural Development Trust (CRDT), by six individuals: (a) Simeon Lutaakome (b) Hugh Francis Pulle (RIP) (c) Paul Kateregga (d) Vincent Kirabo kya Maria (e) Emmanuel Mpande and (f) John Ogutu (RIP). In 1985, CRDT began to provide financial services to the public. Centenary Bank became a fully licensed commercial bank in 1993, after receiving a banking license from the Bank of Uganda, Uganda's central bank. Centenary Bank is the second-largest indigenous Ugandan bank, behind Crane Bank.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Roman Catholic Dioceses of Uganda||38.5|
|2||Uganda Roman Catholic Secretariat||31.3|
|3||Stitching Hivos-Triodos Fonds||18.3|
- Stitching Hivos-Triodos Fonds is a fully owned subsidiary of Triodos Bank, a Dutch Investment Bank.
- SIDI is a French Investment Bank.
As of June 2014[update], Centenary Bank has its headquarters in Kampala. Its headquarters building, is Mapeera House, on Kampala Road opposite City Square. The bank has a network of 62 bank branches together with 147 linked automated teller machines in Central, Western, Northern and Eastern Uganda. The bank boasts of nearly 1,240,100 deposit customers.
Centenary Bank has the second-largest branch network in Uganda, behind Stanbic Bank. The majority of the bank's branches are in rural areas and the bank plans to open more branches in future. As of October 2013[update], the branches of the bank include the following locations, arranged alphabetically:
- Apac Branch - 22 Akokoro Road, Apac
- Arua Branch - 3 Avenue Road, Arua
- Bugiri Branch - 117 Grant Street, off Iganga-Tororo Highway, Bugiri
- Bwaise Branch - 526 Bombo Road, Bwaise
- CenteMobile Branch - Based at Gulu Branch, 426 Gulu Street, Gulu
- Entebbe Road Branch - Talenta House, 7 Entebbe Road, Kampala
- Entebbe Road Annex Branch - 18-20 Entebbe Road, Kampala
- Fort Portal Branch - 4 Rukidi III 7th Street, Fort Portal
- Gulu Branch - 426 Gulu Street, Gulu
- Hoima Branch - 41-43 Fort Portal Road, Hoima
- Ibanda Branch - 4 Main Street, Ibanda
- Iganga Branch - Wagoina Road, Iganga
- Ishaka Branch - 432 Rukungiri Road, Ishaka
- Isingiro Branch - 17A High Street, Isingiro
- Jinja Branch - 6 Nizam Road, Jinja
- Kabalagala Branch - Ggaba Road, Kabalagala
- Kabale Branch - 129 Kabale Road, Kabale
- Kagadi Branch - Kagadi
- Kamuli Branch - Kamuli
- Kanungu Branch - Kihiihi Road, Kanungu
- Kapchorwa Branch - 1 Market Street, Kapchorwa
- Kasese Branch - 13-14 Portal Street, Kasese
- Kayabwe Branch - Kayabwe, Mpigi District
- Kayunga Branch - Main Street, Kayunga
- Kiboga Branchh - 101 Hoima Road, Kiboga
- Kikuubo Branch - 38 William Street, Kampala
- Kireka Branch - Kampala-Jinja Highway, Kireka, Kira Municipality
- Kisoro Branch - Kisoro
- Kitgum Branch - 7-8 Ogwok Road, Kitgum
- Koboko Branch - 19 Central Road, Koboko
- Kotido Branch - Kotido
- Kumi Branch - 39 Ngora Road, Kumi
- Kyenjojo Branch - 2-6 Nyantongo Road, Kyenjojo
- Kyotera Branch - 6 Kyotera Road, Kyotera
- Lira Branch - 5-7 Soroti Road, Lira
- Lugogo Branch - Forest Mall, Lugogo Bypass Road, Kampala
- Lyantonde Branch - Central Road, Lyantonde
- Makerere University Brancch - St Augustine Students' Center, Makerere University Main Campus, Kampala
- Masaka Branch - 6 Edward Avenue, Masaka
- Masindi Branch - 59-61 Masindi Port Road, Masindi
- Mapeera House Branch - Mapeera House, Kampala Road, Kampala Main Branch
- Mbale Branch - 54 Republic Street, Mbale
- Mbarara Branch - 25-27 High Street, Mbarara
- Mityana Branch - 50 Corner House, Mityana
- Moroto Branch - Moroto
- Mubende Branch - Mubende
- Mukono Branch - Kampala-Jinja Highway, Mukono
- Najjanankumbi Branch - Pelican House, 1032 Entebbe Road, Najjanankumbi
- Nakivubo Road Branch - Mukwano Arcade, Kampala
- Namirembe Road Branch - 16 Namirembe Road, Kampala
- Nateete Branch - Masaka Road, Kampala
- Nebbi Branch - 1-5 Bishop Orombi Road, Nebbi
- Ntinda Branch - Capital Shoppers Mall, Ntinda Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Ntungamo Branch - 4C Mbarara-Kabale Road, Ntungamo
- Rubaga Branch - Rubaga Cathedral Administration Block, Stensera Road, Lubaga - Adjacent to St. Mary's Cathedral
- Rukungiri Branch - 910 Kinyasono Road, Rukungiri
- Soroti Branch - 36 Gweri Road, Soroti
- Tororo Branch - 3 Uhuru Drive, Tororo
- Wakiso Branch - 214 Main Street, Wakiso
- Wobulenzi Branch - 249 Gulu Road, Wobulenzi
Centenary Bank is governed by a twelve-person Board of Directors of whom two are Executive Directors and ten are non-Executive. The Chairman of the Board is Professor John Ddumba Ssentamu, one of the non-Executive Directors.
The Managing Director of Centenary Bank is Fabian Kasi. He is assisted by nine other managers in supervising the normal operations of the bank.
- Adengo, Jonathan (22 April 2014). "Centenary Bank Posts Shs74 Billion Profit". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Audited 31 December 2012 Annual Report" (PDF). Centenary Bank. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "List of Licensed Commercial Banks". Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Uganda's Largest Bank Opens Towers". East African Business Week via AllAfrica.com. 17 June 2012. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Angumya, Edgar (17 April 2012). "Crane Becomes Biggest Local Bank". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Shareholding In Centenary Bank" (PDF). Centenary Bank. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Juuko, Sylvia (8 April 2010). "Centenary Bank Profits Up 15 Percent". New Vision. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Branches of Centenary Bank". Centenary Bank. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Newvision, Archive (6 January 2010). "Centenary Bank's Performance Is Exemplary And Impressive". New Vision. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Namukoye, Geoffrey (21 August 2012). "Kamuli Welcomes Centenary Bank". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Centenary Bank Extends Formal Banking Services To Kayuga District". 24 April 2014. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Ashaba, Anita (26 April 2013). "Centenary Bank Hits Record Shs1 Trillion Assets In 2012". Chimpreports.com. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Odomel, James (16 March 2009). "Centenary Goes To Ntungamo". New Vision. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Centenary Bank Website
- List of Licensed Banks in Uganda
- History of Centenary Bank
- Profile of Mapeera House At Roko.co.ug
- Foreign Exchange Calculator At Oanda.com