|The airport entrance on South Peoria Street.|
|IATA: APA – ICAO: KAPA – FAA LID: APA|
|Owner||Arapahoe County Public Airport Authority|
|Location||Dove Valley, Colorado|
|Elevation AMSL||5,885 ft / 1,794 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Centennial Airport (IATA: APA, ICAO: KAPA, FAA LID: APA) is a public use airport in Arapahoe County, Colorado, United States. It is owned by the Arapahoe County Public Airport Authority and located 15 nautical miles (17 mi, 28 km) southeast of downtown Denver, Colorado. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a reliever airport.
Located in Dove Valley, an unincorporated area of Arapahoe County, the airport’s runways extend into Douglas County. It opened on May 12, 1967 as Arapahoe County Airport, and was renamed on July 13, 1984. The new name reflects Colorado’s admission to the Union as the 38th state in 1876, the centennial of the United States Declaration of Independence.
Centennial Airport covers 1,400 acres (567 ha) at an elevation of 5,885 feet (1,794 m). It has three asphalt runways: 17L/35R is 10,001 by 100 feet (3,048 x 30 m); 17R/35L is 7,000 by 77 feet (2,134 x 23 m); 10/28 is 4,800 by 75 feet (1,463 x 23 m).
In 2010 the airport had 283,186 aircraft operations, average 775 per day: 86% general aviation, 11% air taxi, and 3% military. 858 aircraft were then based at this airport: 67% single-engine, 16% multi-engine, 14% jet, and 2% helicopter.
In 1985 a new control tower was built. It is an international airport with continuous U.S. Customs services and is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the United States with an average of 874 operations per day. The Federal Aviation Administration control tower and associated air traffic control services are continuous; Runway 35R has a Category I Instrument Approach.
Airlines and destinations
Centennial Airport does not offer scheduled airline passenger service. However, charter air service is available:
|Denver Air Connection operated by Key Lime Air||Grand Junction|
- FAA Airport Master Record for APA ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- FlightAware > Resources > Airport > Centennial Airport (Denver, Colorado) [KAPA/APA]
- Denver Air Connection - Destinations, Retrieved 2013-11-18
- Centennial Airport, official site
- Centennial Airport (APA) at Colorado DOT airport directory
- Aerial image as of April 2002 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective September 18, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for APA, effective September 18, 2014
- Resources for this airport: