Centennial Watershed State Forest
|Centennial Watershed State Forest|
|Connecticut State Forest|
|Towns||Easton, Newtown, Redding, Weston|
|Elevation||282 ft (86 m) |
|Area||15,370 acres (6,220 ha) |
|Management||Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, The Nature Conservancy, Aquarion Water Company|
|Website: Centennial Watershed State Forest|
Centennial Watershed State Forest is a Connecticut state forest of more than 15,000 acres with larger parcels located in the towns of Easton, Newtown, Redding, and Weston. Dozens of other properties are strung throughout much of Southwestern parat of the state. In 2002, the lands were acquired from the Aquarion Water Company by the state in partnership with The Nature Conservancy. Those three entities continue to manage the property by committee. The forest was named in honor of the hundredth anniversary of the state forest system.
Although most of the state forest acreage is off limits to the public and patrolled by Aquarion security officers, the forest offers opportunities for letterboxing, hiking on the Aspetuck Valley Trail, and shoreline fishing on the Saugatuck Reservoir. Access to the forest is by permit only.
- "Saugatuck Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee (January 23, 2014). "State Parks and Forests: Funding" (PDF). Staff Findings and Recommendations. Connecticut General Assembly. p. A-1. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Centennial Watershed State Forest". State Parks and Forests. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Connecticut State Forests Seedling Letterbox Series - Clues for Centennial Watershed State Forest". State Parks and Forests. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Connecticut Recreation: General Guideline". Aquarion Water Company. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Centennial Watershed State Forest Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection