Center for Development, Democracy and Governance
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (May 2014)|
|Headquarters||Al Asmar Building, Block B
|Agency executives||Wissam Raji, President
Fady Hage, Vice President
Yves Rahme, Romy Raphael
The Center for Development, Democracy and Governance (CDDG) is a non-governmental Lebanese organization, created in February 2010, registered under number 258. This organization aims at local development, good governance, in order to ensure the basic rules of democracy all over Lebanon. It is formed of a group of activists that includes qualified persons, engineers, agriculture experts, economists… “Governance is an ideal which is difficult to achieve in its totality. However, to ensure sustainable human development, actions must be taken to work towards this ideal with the aim of making it a reality.” CDDG aims at working towards achieving this ideal by interpreting through action and awareness the eight characteristics of good governance: participatory, consensus oriented, accountable, transparent, responsive, effective and efficient, equitable and inclusive and follows the rule of law. CDDG aims as well at minimizing corruption and defending the rights of the minorities and most vulnerable.
Mission statement & objectives
The Center for Development Democracy and Governance aims to excel in community development in order to promote better societies. The mission of CDDG is to promote sustainable development and democratic practices at the local level with a focus on the following areas:
- Rural Development
- Education / Culture
- Improve the efficiency, capacity, and advocacy techniques of Lebanese NGOs and municipalities.
- Increase cooperation and experience-sharing among Lebanese NGOs.
- Identify and investigate funding opportunities for Lebanese NGOs and municipalities from various sources including individuals, embassies, and regional and international NGOs.
- Assist governmental and non-governmental organizations with the implementation of development projects.
- Help Lebanese towns and villages to produce an accurate assessment of needs for their areas.
- Provide Lebanese NGOs with appropriate administrative and technical support to help them produce structured, clearly written funding proposals to address needs.
- Assemble a core group of qualified personnel that can lead development projects and contribute to all aspects of NGO work.
- Organize seminars and workshops for Lebanese NGOs to help increase their effectiveness.
- Develop a network connecting Lebanese NGOs throughout the country to increase cooperation and experience-sharing.
- Follow-up on the implementation of projects.
CDDG will implement an advocacy strategy to support:
- Equality in development project among all the Lebanese regions and villages.
- Reforms related to the democracy, governance and rule of law.
CDDG provide capacity building for NGO’s and municipalities which needs to develop a certain skill or competence, or for general upgrading of performance ability.
Capacity Building is much more than training and includes the following:
- Human resource development: Equipping individuals with the understanding, skills, knowledge and training that enables them to perform effectively.
- Organizational development: The elaboration of management structures, processes and procedures, not only within organizations but also the management of relationships between the different organizations and sectors (public, private and community).
- Institutional and legal framework development: Making legal and regulatory changes to enable organizations, institutions and agencies at all levels and in all sectors to enhance their capacities.
CDDG will finance, implement and sustain projects in several Lebanese regions.Projects will be carefully chosen depending on the sector, cost and sustainability conditions in order to create an effective development strategy for those regions.
CDDG will be in charge of the implementation from A to Z of several projects on the regional and the national levels in its area of intervention and expertise.
CDDG will assist directly the Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and the local authorities in the implementation of their projects. This will be achieved by making field visits, by providing experts to help them directly in the execution of these initiatives.
|Region||Project Description||Source of Funding||Year|
|Bcharre||Drip Water Irrigation||GIZ||2010|
|Bchale/Batroun||Rain Water Harvesting||GIZ||2010|
|Kfarhabo/Diniye||Equipment for Agricultural Women Coop||LDS Charities||2011|
|Maad/Jbeil||Medical Clinic Equipment||MOSA||2011|
|Batroun||Energy Saving LED Light||UNDP||2012|
|Kobayath/Akkar||Renewable Energy Light Panels||UNDP||2012|
|Achkout/Keserwan||Supply for Orphanage||Fundraising-Local Donors||2013|
|Darbechtar/Koura||Dental Clinic||Fundraising-Local Donors||2013|
|Ainata Bekaa||Apple Cold Storage||USAID-BALADI||2013|
|Beshwat/Bekaa||Equipment for Crafts workshop||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Memneh/Akkar||Artesian Well||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Sisters of St. Terrese/Keserwan||Ambulance||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Batha/Keserwan||Garbage Truck||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Btidii/ Bekaa||Generator for an Artesian Well||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Der El Ahmar/ Bekaa||Generator for Sainte Famille School||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Der El Ahmar/ Bekaa||Two 500 KVA Generators||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Ein Zebde/ Bekaa||Generator for an Artesian Well||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Achkout/Keserwan||Computer Room and Furniture for Orphanage||Kiwanis-Switzerland||2014|
|Kobayat/Akkar||Water Reservoir||Lebanese Forces Party||2014|
|Darbechtar-Didde-Kfarakka/Koura||3 Garbage Trucks|