Center for Economic and Policy Research
|Type||Economic policy think tank|
|Headquarters||1611 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC, United States
The Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) is an economic policy think-tank that has been described as both progressive and liberal. Based in Washington, DC, the American CEPR has no relation to the British Centre for Economic Policy Research. CEPR was founded in 1999 by economists Dean Baker and Mark Weisbrot.
Staff and contributors
Its staff includes John Schmitt, as well as Deborah James and Alexander Main, who were former employees of the Government of Venezuela's Venezuela Information Office (VIO), where James was the Executive director of the VIO and Main was an analyst.
Support of Venezuelan government policies
According to the conservative FrontPage Magazine, CEPR and its staff are "longtime apologists for leftist dictators, most prominently Hugo Chavez" and stated that in a 2003 web letter, CEPR co-director Mark Weisbrot was the leading supporter in urging "progressive funding community" to finance the Venezuelan government's Venezuela Information Office. The letter in question, asking "the progressive funding community to take an interest in this issue [democracy in Venezuela], and provide funding to groups that are working on it, before it is too late" was posted on a website frequented by large donors to progressive causes and was signed by Weisbrot. Weisbrot denied support for the VIO saying "That letter had certainly nothing to do with the Venezuela Information Office" and that he "was saying to funders to pay attention to what is happening in Venezuela".
In February 2014, Weisbrot and Deborah James of the CEPR attended a gathering created by the Embassy of Venezuela, Washington, D.C. to commemorate the legacy of Hugo Chavez and show support for the Bolivarian Revolution at the Bolivarian Hall. At the gathering Weisbrot spoke beside the Venezuelan ambassador Julio Escalona and peace activist Dan Kovalik.
- ″The Incredible Shrinking Think Tank″, Extra!, Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting. March 1, 2008.
- Parnell, John (12 February 2013). "New study: Work less, fight climate change". Responding to Climate Change. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- This Week's Discussion Papers, CEPR published 13 Discussion Papers this week, CEPR website
- CEPR, About Us, accessed 13 March 2009
- "Deborah James". Global Exchange. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- CEPR website, Staff Listing, accessed 27 September 2012
- Daza Tapia, Andrea (20 October 2009). "Agentes recargan fuerzas para batallar por la “revolución”". El Mundo. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Laksin, Jacob (25 September 2006). "The UN’s Dictator Tour 2006". FrontPage Magazine. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- Bogardus, Keven (22 September 2004). Venezuela Head Polishes Image With Oil Dollars: President Hugo Chavez takes his case to America's streets. Center for Public Integrity. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- "“Por Aquí Paso Chávez ”". Flickr. Embassy of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Dan Kovalik Dan Kovalik". Huffington Post. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|