Center for Global Studies
The Center for Global Studies was founded in 2000 by Dr. Edward Kolodziej at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Center for Global Studies (CGS) serves as a resource for faculty, students, staff, and the public. CGS globalizes the research, teaching, and outreach missions of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It is a National Resource Center designated by the Department of Education.
Globalizing Missions of the Center for Global Studies
- Promote and support innovative research to better understand global issues confronting the world’s populations and identify ways to resolve these challenges.
- Partner with colleges and faculty to develop new courses and degree programs in global studies.
- Foster interdisciplinary and interprofessional cooperation in global studies.
- Facilitate deep understanding of the values, thinking, practices, and aspirations of the world’s diverse cultures, and the acquisition of advanced language skills in Less Commonly Taught Languages.
- Develop teaching resources, professional training opportunities, and public programs in global studies for researchers, educators, students, business leaders, media, governmental agencies, civic organizations, and all members of the public.
What is Global Studies?
Global Studies is the study of global and international interactions in society. Our world is becoming global. The Center focuses on promoting and supporting innovative research to better understand global issues confronting the world's populations and identifying ways to resolve these challenges.