Center of the American Experiment
The Center of the American Experiment is a policy organization that was founded in 1990. Its founder and President is Michael Pearlstein, a former Reagan appointee. Annette Meeks used to serve as its CEO. It has received grants from the Bradley Foundation and the John M. Olin Foundation.
Members include Linda Chavez, Steven F. Hayward, John H. Hinderaker, Mark Kennedy, Heather Mac Donald, Michael Novak, Marvin Olasky, Allen I. Olson, Tim Penny, Christina Hoff Sommers, Ken Starr, Shelby Steele, and Abigail Thernstrom. Katherine Kersten is a Senior Fellow. Guests have also included Charles Krauthammer.
Certain unidentified “public documents” tied the Center of the American Experiment to funding the American Legislative Exchange Council, a conservative organization for which the Center has "a great deal of respect" (e.g., the Center finds ALEC's "model legislation to be of the highest quality"). The Center has also campaigned for school vouchers. They also expressed concern about the raunchiness of television for children. They are opposed to affirmative action, especially in academia. They have been credited for playing a major role in empowering conservatives in Minnesota.
- Official website, About
- Dissent, Volume 38, Issues 2-4, p. 148 
- Annette Meeks biography
- Emmer for Governor team biography
- Lee Cokorinos, The assault on diversity: an organized challenge to racial and gender justice, Rowman & Littlefield, 2003, p. 56 
- The Official Congressional Directory, 2005-2006: 109th Congress, Government Printing Office, 2005, p.145 
- Rita James Simon, Sporting equality: Title IX thirty years later, Transaction Publishers, 2005, p. 181 
- John Leo, Incorrect thoughts: notes on our wayward culture, Transaction Publishers, 2001, p. 71 
- Chris Steller, 'Too late to eat crow with Charles Krauthammer', in The Minnesota Independent, May 26, 2009 
- Mitch Pearlstein and Kim Crockett, "Illinois senator shouldn't bully Minnesota think tank", Star Tribune, August 14, 2013.
- Rebecca Hagelin, Home invasion: protecting your family in a culture that's gone stark raving mad, Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, 2005 p. 10 
- Mildred García, Affirmative action's testament of hope: strategies for a new era in higher education, SUNY Press, 1997, p. 48 
- Jason Michael Stahl, Selling conservatism: Think tanks, conservative ideology, and the undermining of liberalism, 1945--Present, University of Minnesota, 2008, p. 198