Centers for Spiritual Living
|Centers for Spiritual Living|
|Associations||Affiliated New Thought Network, International New Thought Alliance|
Los Angeles, California
|Separated from||Religious Science International|
|Merge of||United Centers for Spiritual Living and International Centers for Spiritual Living, 2011|
The Centers for Spiritual Living, or CSL, is a religious denomination promoting Religious Science that was founded by Ernest Holmes in 1949. Before 2011, it was two organizations known as United Centers for Spiritual Living (formally, United Church of Religious Science) and International Centers for Spiritual Living (formally, Religious Science International).
Holmes and his brother Fenwicke learned about New Thought in Boston with Mary Baker Eddy, and later in Los Angeles were drawn to the belief in the power of the mind for healing and fulfillment of life. In 1926, Holmes's major work, The Science of Mind, was published, and in 1927 he founded the Institute of Religious Science and Philosophy in Los Angeles to teach his principles. After a growing number of the Institute's graduates established churches on teachings by Holmes, it was reorganized in 1949 as the Church of Religious Science. In the 1950s it split into two organizations that were originally called the United Church of Religious Science and Religious Science International.
The International Centers for Spiritual Living and United Centers for Spiritual Living reunited in 2011 after more than 50 years apart. After an eight-year process, the two organizations used a shared leadership model including nearly 400 volunteers. As of 2011, the organization has over 400 churches across North America.
In 2012 the newly merged Centers for Spiritual Living, elected Dr. Kenn Gordon as its first Spiritual Leader, having served in numerous capacities on the board of directors, including President of the former International Centers for Spiritual Living since 1999. In 2005 he was named Minister of the Year and received his Doctorate of Humanities. Dr. Kenn, along with wife Dr. Deborah Gordon, pastors the Centre for Spiritual Living Kelowna.
Statement of Beliefs
|Part of a series of articles on|
- We believe in God, the living Spirit Almighty; one, indestructible, absolute, and self-existent Cause. This One manifests Itself in and through all creation, but is not absorbed by Its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God; it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingness of God.
- We believe in the incarnation of the Spirit in US, and that all PEOPLE are incarnations of the One Spirit.
- We believe in the eternality, the immortality, and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
- We believe that HEAVEN is within US, and that we experience IT to the degree that we become conscious of It.
- We believe the ultimate goal of life to be a complete emancipation from all discord of every nature, and that this goal is sure to be attained by all.
- We believe in the unity of all life, and that the highest God and the innermost God is one God. We believe that God is personal to all who feel this indwelling Presence.
- We believe in the direct revelation of Truth through our intuitive and spiritual nature, and that ANYONE may become a revealer of Truth who lives in close contact with the indwelling God.
- We believe that the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God; and that we are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thought and acts upon it.
- We believe in the healing of the sick through the power of this Mind.
- We believe in the control of conditions through the power of this Mind.
- We believe in the eternal Goodness, the eternal Loving-kindness, and the eternal Givingness of Life to all.
- We believe in our own soul, our own spirit, and our own destiny; for we understand that OUR LIFE is God.
In addition to hundreds of local centers on the world, the Centers for Spiritual Living have several major activities. They include operating the World Ministry of Prayer, publishing the Science of Mind magazine and Creative Thought magazine, and operating the Holmes Institute. The magazine started its publication in 1927, and the Institute was opened in 1972. The Holmes Institute is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council and is a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. It provides a Master's Degree program whose mission is to prepare spiritual leaders for service in the global community.
There are thousands of Religious Science Practitioners (RScP) around the world today. According to Vorensky and Carr, a RScP is, "A trained counselor who listens to concerns and offers loving prayers in accordance to the principles of Science of Mind. Practitioners honor each person from a holistic viewpoint and acknowledge their basic loving nature."
- Kathleen Freeman, actress
- Peggy Lee, musician
- "Religious Science", Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- "20th Century Renaissance Heroes: Ernest Holmes", Truth Book. Retrieved 5/23/2011.
- Goldberg, P. (2010) American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West. Random House Digital, Inc. p. 98.
- "RSI now International Centers for Spiritual Living", Visioning Bridge Weblog. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- (March 10, 2011) Press Release: "Denomination Bucks Trend, Reunites After 57 Years", Dallas Center for Spiritual Living. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Holmes, E. "What We Believe", United Centers for Spiritual Living. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Melton, J.G. (1988). The Encyclopedia of American religions, religious creeds. Gale Research Co. p 692.
- "Holmes Institute History", United Centers for Spiritual Living. Retrieved 6/2/11.
- Vorensky, J. and Carr, K. (2001) I Dare to Heal: With Compassionate Love. Life's Breath Publications and Xlibris. p 155.
- The Centers for Spiritual Living (CSL)
- Centers for Spiritual Living 2 (Formerly United Church of Religious Science)
- Affiliated New Thought Network (ANTN)
- Global Religious Science Ministries (GRSM)
- Center For Spiritual Living Los Angeles
- Spiritual Living Center of Atlanta