Central Asian Football Association
|Formation||9 January 2015|
|6 member associations|
In June 2014, the association was in principle approved by the Asian Football Confederation and approved at the Extraordinary Congress in January 2015 during the 2015 AFC Asian Cup. As a result, CAFA will in the future be able to have member(s) on the AFC executive committee.
The formation of CAFA was spearheaded by the Iranian Football Federation following disputes with West Asian Football Federation members. It was reported that AFC President Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa gained politically from the creation of the new zone.
Members of the six nations met with AFC president Sheihk Salam on 10 May 2014 to talk about the possibility to creating a new Asian football zone. The delegations were invited by the AFC president following an initiative by Iran and Afghanistan. At the extraordinary AFC congress on 9 June 2014 in Sao Paulo, the plan of the new zone was ratified by the congress.
CAFA will consist of six member associations. All of them are members of the Asian Football Confederation.
|Association||Former federation||Men's team||Women's team|
Men's National Teams
Last updated 16 April 2015.
Women's National Teams
Last updated 20 June 2014.
Leading men's team:
|President||Mirabror Usmanov||2015 - 2019|
|Vice-president||Rustam Emomali||2015 -|
|General Secretary||Sardor Rakhmatullaev||2015 -|
|Vice-General Secretary||Seyed Reza Aghazadeh||2015 -|
|AFC Vice-president||Ali Kafashian||2015 -|
|Female General Secretary||Zohra Mehri||2015 -|
Afghanistan secretary general, Seyed Reza Aghazadeh, announced in February 2015 the possible start of a CAFA Championship, starting in 2016. The first CAFA Under-15 Championship began on 23 March 2015 in Tokyo.
- Asian Football Confederation (AFC)
- East Asian Football Federation (EAFF)
- ASEAN Football Federation (AFF)
- South Asian Football Federation (SAFF)
- West Asian Football Federation (WAFF)
- ECO Cup
- "اتحادیه فوتبال آسیای مرکزی ایجاد شد". BBC. 22 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "'Central Zone' gets thumbs up from Tajikistan". The AFC. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "AFC adds a fifth zone as Extraordinary Congress approves amendments to AFC Statutes". The AFC. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- Warshaw, Andrew (10 June 2014). "Shaikh Salman flexes his political muscle to brush aside Prince Ali". InsideWorldFootball.com. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Central Asians meet Sheikh Salman to create CAFA". aff.org.af. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Sheikh Salman Wins Bitter Battle to End Prince Ali's FIFA Vice-Presidency" (10 JUNE 2014). worldfootballinsider.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "AFC president to resume FIFA Vice Presidency". goal.com. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking (Men)". FIFA. 16 April 2015.
- "The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking (Women)". FIFA. 16 April 2015.
- "Last Afghanistan championship". Goal Nepal. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 23 February 2015.