Central Board of Secondary Education
|Formation||3 November 1962|
|Type||Governmental Board of Education|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Hindi & English|
|Ministry of Human Resource Development|
The Central Board of Secondary Education (abbreviated as CBSE) is a Board of Education for public and private schools, under the Union Government of India.
The first education board to be set up in India was the Uttar Pradesh Board of High School and Intermediate Education in 1921, which was under jurisdiction of Rajputana, Central India and Gwalior. In 1929, the government of India set up a joint Board named "Board of High School and Intermediate Education, Rajputana". This included Ajmer, Merwara, Central India and Gwalior. Later it was confined to Ajmer, Bhopal and Vindhya Pradesh. In 1952, it became the "Central Board of Secondary Education".
The board conducts final examinations every spring for All India Senior School Certificate Examination (AISSCE) for Class 10 and 12. The board also annually conducted the AIEEE exam for admission to undergraduate courses in engineering and architecture in numerous colleges spread over India. However the AIEEE exam was merged with the IIT-Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) in 2013. The common examination is now called JEE (Mains). CBSE also conducts AIPMT (All India Pre Medical Test) for admission to major medical colleges in India. In 2014, the conduct of the National Eligibility Test for grant of junior research fellowship and eligibility for assistant professor in institutions of higher learning was outsourced to CBSE. Apart from these tests, CBSE also conducts the central teachers eligibility test and the Class X optional proficiency test. With the addition of NET in 2014, the CBSE has become the largest exam conducting body in the world.
CBSE board 10th and 12th class examinations 2015 will start from March 02. CBSE 10th class exam 2015 will end on March 26 while CBSE 12th class exam 2015 will end on April 20, 2015.
Presently CBSE has 10 regional offices:
- Delhi: NCT of Delhi, Foreign Schools
- Chennai: Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Goa, Puducherry, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu
- Guwahati: Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram
- Ajmer: Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Panchkula: Haryana, Union Territory of Chandigarh, Punjab, J&K, Himachal Pradesh
- Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand
- Patna: Bihar, Jharkhand
- Bhubaneswar: West Bengal, Orissa, Chhattisgarh
- Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala
- Dehradun: Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand
- Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE)
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS)
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC)
- Boards of Education in India
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central Board of Secondary Education.|