Central Bucks High School West
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Central Bucks High School West|
|375 West Court Street
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, 18901
|Type||Public Co-Ed Secondary|
|Principal||Jason H. Bucher|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Mascot||The Buck (Buckshot)|
|Website||CB West website[dead link]|
Central Bucks High School West is the oldest of the three high schools in the Central Bucks School District. CB West, as it is commonly known, is located in the Borough of Doylestown, Pennsylvania in Bucks County. It was constructed in 1952 as the successor to Doylestown High School, which later burned down. Originally named Central Bucks Joint Junior Senior High School, the school's name was changed to Central Bucks High School West in 1969 with the opening of the district's second high school, Central Bucks High School East. CB West pulls its students from Doylestown, Chalfont, New Britain Township, Plumsteadville, Plumstead Township. Students come from Lenape Middle School and Tohickon Middle School. Its sister schools are Central Bucks High School East and the newer Central Bucks High School South.
Middle Bucks Institute of Technology
CB West (as well as the other CB high schools, Council Rock, and Centennial School Districts) has a partnership with the Middle Bucks Institute of Technology. This partnership allows students the opportunity to spend half of their school day in traditional classes on the main campus, and half of the day studying their chosen vocation at MBIT. Clusters include, Architecture and Construction, Arts, A/V Technology and Communications, Health Science, Hospitality and Tourism, Human Services, Information Technology, Law, Public Safety and Security, Science, Mathematics, Technology and Engineering, Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics. After completion of the program, students are ready and able to join the workforce.
A wing was added along the W. Court Street face in 1996. At the same time the cafeteria and library were significantly modified and expanded. CB West has been in a continuous state of renovation from 2005-2010. The library, nurse's and guidance offices, front entrance, and academic classrooms have since been renovated.
Clocktower and Courtyard
The clocktower of Central Bucks West is the single architectural landmark that distinguishes it from other facilities within the district. Access to the clocktower is limited as its single entrance is locked a majority of the year. Classes were once held in the clocktower, but due to its limited access, it has been considered a potential trap in the event of a fire or emergency. Directly in front of the clocktower is a courtyard where many students eat lunch, play games, and spend their study halls.
Central Buck's West War Memorial Field was resurfaced with an astroturf material over the summer of 2006, replacing the grass previously covering the field. War Memorial field and stadium are part of War Memorial Park, owned by the Borough of Doylestown, and are leased to the Central Bucks School District. It also serves as the home field for Central Bucks High School East. During the American Civil War, the area now utilized as athletic fields had served as a drill field and encampment for union troops."McClellan Rangers Reenactment Association".[dead link]
CB West offers many clubs, including:
Student Council, Student Government Organization, Future Business Leaders of America, Mock Trial, the World Affairs Club, Crossroads Christian Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, Heifer International, Art Club, Harlequin Club, National Honor Society, Key Club, Yearbook Club, Student Leadership Council, Cooking for the Homeless, Quidditch Club, Philosophy Club, Newspaper Club (Court Street Press), Ultimate Frisbee Club, Technology Student Association, Ski Club, Computer Game Programming Club, West Graphix Group, Families in Need, Fencing Club, the Democratic Club, the Young Republicans Club, Stars and Stripes Club, Environmental Club, Guitar Club, Spanish National Honor Society, French National Honor Society, German National Honor Society, Latin National Honor Society, Russian Colloquium, Break Dancing Club, Junior Classical League, Future Doctors of America, Science Olympiad Team, Scholars Bowl, Adopt-a-Highway, and the Poet's Society.
The choir has sung for major world leaders such as Nelson Mandela, Former President Bill Clinton, and Current President Barack Obama. The choirs have sung across the United States as well as in Canada and Europe.
Central Bucks West offers the following sports teams:
Since the mid-1980s, the Central Bucks West football team has often been ranked by USA Today as one of the top ten high school football teams. The Bucks won the Pennsylvania state championship four times in the 90's (1991, 1997, 1998, 1999). CB West's 1999 championship win was the subject of the documentary The Last Game.
The Lady Bucks have captured 7 state titles in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2003, 2006, and 2007.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
- Fred Fielding, held the office of White House Counsel for U.S. Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.
- Scott Green, Current NFL Official, he has been with the league since 1991 and served as Head Referee for Super Bowl XLIV on February 7, 2010.
- Jon Hensley, actor best known for his role as Holden Snyder on As the World Turns.
- Al Holbert, American automobile racing driver who was a five-time champion of the IMSA Camel GT series.
- Jamie Keiles, started a blog called the Seventeen Magazine Project in May 2010 which gained notoriety among the feminist "blogosphere". She is currently attending the University of Chicago and is in the process of writing her own book.
- James A. Michener, Author - Graduated Doylestown High School 1925
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist
- Pink, Born Alecia Beth Moore September 8, 1979, two time Grammy Award-winning American singer-songwriter who first gained prominence in early January 2000. She attended CB West before dropping out during her sophomore year, and going on to sell more than 30 million albums and over 25 million combined single sales worldwide.
- Mike Pettine, Head Coach for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL.
- Mike Senica, ARCA Racing Series and NASCAR driver
- Michael Smerconish, Radio Personality
- White House Holiday Entertainers 2000
- USA Today (2006). Preps: Year-by-year final football rankings 1982-2005. Accessed 19 March 2007.
- James A. Michener
- http://books.google.com/books?id=4t6wPzwJ9DoC&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=Margaret+Mead+Doylestown+High+School&source=bl&ots=D9YAnmK60q&sig=oszTtlJxYT5WDpJdPRVwkqbhuCI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lZ--UvDoEsn3oATM84G4DQ&ved=0CFcQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Margaret%20Mead%20Doylestown%20High%20School&f=false -- Page 16 "Then a public High school in Doylestown.. THere was only one public high school in Doylestown in the 1920's
- CB-West Official Page[dead link]
- CB West Bands
- CB West Choir
- CB West Alumni News Page[dead link]
- CB West Football
- CB West Field Hockey