News 13 (Central Florida)
|Slogan||News. Weather. Now.|
|Affiliations||CNN (Cable News Network)
HLN (formerly Headline News)
Bay News 9 (Tampa Bay)
|Owner||Bright House Networks|
News 13 is a cable news television station located in Orlando, Florida. It currently serves the greater Central Florida areas including Volusia County, Seminole County, Orange County, Osceola County, Lake County, Marion County, Flagler County, and Brevard County. News 13 covers news in cities such as Orlando, Daytona Beach, Melbourne, and Kissimmee, as well as surrounding areas.
Ybeth Bruzual serves as the News 13 weekday morning anchor. Jackie Brockington is the weekday afternoon anchor, and Marla Weech is the weekday evening/overnight anchor. On the weekends, only two anchors fill the day, with Sandra Osbourne taking the first half and Joel Schipper handling the second half of the day.
The Weather Team is made up of Chief Meteorologist Jeff Day, and meteorologists Dave Cocchiarella, Maureen McCann and Mallory Nicholls. It airs twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, exclusively on a commercial cable TV company that serves the area, Bright House Networks. Bright House is the current carrier, previously Time Warner Cable.
On December 14, 2010, News 13 became available to Bright House's digital subscribers in the Tampa Bay area, on channel 1213; the channel is offered as an adjunct to their local news channel, Bay News 9.
On November 1, 2011 News 13 began broadcasting their newscasts in high-definition. The station had a new master control system installed, and unveiled a slightly tweaked graphics package.
On August 27, 2013, News 13 had a major overhaul of their branding (from long-time name since launch in 1997, Central Florida News 13 to now simply News 13), changing their logo to look similar to the Bay News 9 logo, as well as new news music (Primetime News, the same news music package that Bay News 9 also uses) and graphics that are 16:9 friendly, which can cause problems for the 4:3 TV sets. The website was also changed to complete the change of dropping the "Central Florida" part of the channel's name (from cfnews13.com to mynews13.com). They also changed their slogan (from long-time slogan "All Local, All The Time." to "News. Weather. Now."). This was News 13's biggest makeover and overhaul since the 24-hour local cable newschannel was launched in October of 1997.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2011)|
News 13 has several features that make it unique in the area:
- There is a weather report every ten minutes called "Weather on the Ones." During the Atlantic Hurricane Season, two of these reports each hour are dedicated to tropical activity.
- Weekdays from 5:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., the traffic report (immediately after Weather on the 1's) called "Traffic Check".
- The channel covers each rocket launch at the Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
- Ybeth Bruzual - weekday mornings (5:00 a.m- 12:00 p.m.)
- Jackie Brockington - weekday afternoons (12:00-5:00 p.m.)
- Marla Weech - weeknights (5:00 p.m.-5:00 a.m.)
- Sandra Osborune - weekend mornings (5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
- Joel Schipper - weekend evenings and overnight loop (5:00 p.m.-5:00 a.m.)
- Jeff Day (AMS and NWA Seals of Approval) - chief meteorologist; weekday afternoons (12:00-5:00 p.m.)
- TBD - meteorologist; weekend mornings and afternoons (5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
- Dave Cocchiarella (AMS Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Seal of Approval) - meteorologist; weeknights (5:00 p.m.-5:00 a.m.)
- Maureen McCann (AMS Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Seal of Approval)- Meteorologist; weekday mornings (5:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
- Mallory Nichols (AMS Certified Broadcast Meteorologist Seal of Approval) - meteorologist; weekend afternoons, evenings and overnight loop (5:00 p.m.-6:00 a.m.)
- Ryan Harper - weekday mornings (5:00-9:00 a.m.)
Other traffic reports, in off peak times, are done by various personnel at Metro Traffic
- Jeff Allen - Seminole County reporter
- John W. Davis - general assignment reporter
- Dave D'Marko - general assignment reporter
- Caroline Rowland - general assignment reporter
- Scott Fais - feature reporter
- Jerry Hume - general assignment reporter
- Margaret Kavanagh - Brevard Bureau reporter
- Amanda McKenzie - general assignment reporter
- Bailey Myers - Osceola County reporter
- Greg Pallone - Brevard Bureau chief
- Saul Saenz - Volusia Bureau reporter and fill-in anchor
- Bakari Savage - general assignment reporter
- Natalie Tolomeo - general assignment reporter
- Allison Walker - feature reporter and fill-in anchor
- Christine Webb - interactive reporter/fill-in anchor
- Jason Wheeler - Flagler/Volusia bureau reporter
Former on-air staff
- Danny Treanor - Former weekend morning meteorologist
- Lisa Bell - Former "Your Morning News" anchor,( now reporter and fill-in-anchor at WKMG-TV, Orlando, FL area CBS affiliate)
- Vinnie Politan - anchor/reporter
- Scott Harris - senior anchor (fill-in and special events; deceased)
- Jessica Yellin - anchor/reporter (?-?; now national political correspondent at CNN)
- Chris Martinez - reporter (2000-2003); now at WBBM-TV, the CBS O&O in Chicago
- Julie Broughton - meteorologist/special assignment reporter, (now weekend morning meteorologist at WKMG-TV, Orlando, FL area CBS affiliate)
- Peter Caggiano - meteorlogist
- Scott McDonnell- Reporter (Now at KMBC-TV Kansas City as an Anchor/Reporter)
- Kristin Kane- Anchor/Reporter, (Now at Fox 59, Indianapolis as a morning anchor)
- Ted Noah- Traffic Anchor/Reporter (2005-2006, 2008-2009 Off Camera at Metro Traffic and 2010-2013 On Camera), (now at Tele-traffic)
- Kelli Cook- Anchor/Reporter (Now at WATN Memphis as Anchor/Reporter)
- Ali Turiano- Meteorologist, (now at Fox 4 KDFW)
En Español staff
In March 2011, Bright House announced that the Spanish-language news channels of News 13 and Bay News 9 would merge into a new channel, InfoMás; the merged channel began broadcast July 12, 2011.
Former En Español on-air staff
- Sharon Miranda - anchor/reporter
- Idamis Toledo - anchor/reporter
- Christian De La Rosa - anchor/reporter
- Sarykarmen Rivera - anchor/reporter
- Bay News 9, Bright House news channel for the Tampa Bay area
- Bright House Sports Network
- SNN Local News 6, Comcast news channel for the Sarasota area
- Bright House Networks ad in St. Petersburg Times, November 12, 2010.
-  Central Florida News 13 goes HD…
- Our People
- "En la TV: Bright House Networks To Launch InfoMás". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- St. Petersburg Times: "Bright House Networks to merge Tampa Bay and Orlando Spanish language newschannels into InfoMas", March 11, 2011.
- MyNews13.com - Official Website