Central Gardens Nature Reserve
|Central Gardens Nature Reserve
New South Wales
|Nearest town or city|
|Area||0.12 km2 (0.0 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Holroyd City Council|
|Website||Central Gardens Nature Reserve|
|See also||Protected areas of
New South Wales
The Central Gardens Nature Reserve, also called the Central Gardens, is a protected nature reserve located in the western suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Established in 1976, the 12-hectare (30-acre) reserve, garden and fauna and wildlife park is situated in the suburb of Merrylands and is managed by the Holroyd City Council.
The reserve is located between Merrylands Road, Paton Street and the Cumberland Highway in Merrylands and, prior to its reclamation, was a brick pit. The bushland contains remnants of Cumberland Plain Woodland and is approximately 3.5 hectares in area. The Reserve has tree species such as Bursaria spinosa, and grasses and herbs species including Lomandra filiformis, Grey Box and Themeda australis.
The natural bushland features walking tracks, boardwalk, fountains, ornamental lake system, and, bird and animal enclosures (fauna and aviary). Some of the animals in it include kangaroos and wallabies, emus, wombats, and native birds, including a talking cockatoo and cockatiels. There are carp and ducks at the pond.
The reserve is a popular venue for wedding photos and company picnics. Yarrabee and Pinaroo areas may be hired for those large family or company picnics. Bookings through Holroyd City Council. Wheelchair access is available. Concrete paths meander throughout the park. Other features include hot water tank, sink, toilets, BBQs, picnic tables and lots of shady trees. Bookings are required in order to access the tennis courts. Entry is free.
- Auburn Botanical Gardens
- Nurragingy Reserve
- Protected areas of New South Wales
- Western Sydney Parklands
- "Nature reserves: Central Gardens". Your facilities. Holroyd City Council. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Finlaysons Creek Corridor, Cumberland Plain Corridor: Existing Conditions and Opportunities". Green Corridors Management Strategy Part 5: Green Corridors Inventory. Upper Parramatta River Catchment Trust. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Central Gardens Merrylands West: Regeneration and Interpretation Project" (PDF). Greener Corridors: An Action Plan and Report Card on the Green Corridors Implementation Program (PDF). Upper Parramatta River Catchment Trust. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "FT8 - Central Gardens" (PDF) (PDF). OZ green. September 2002. Retrieved 7 November 2014.