Central High School (Phoenix, Arizona)
|Central High School|
|4525 North Central Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85012, United States
|Type||Public secondary school|
|Number of students||2,370 (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||Red and Gray|
The campus is located at 4525 North Central Avenue, just north of downtown. Central’s enrollment is 2,370 students. Over 60 percent of the population is Hispanic. Central also has the highest percentage of Anglo students in the district, as well as the highest percentage of Native Americans. Central also is noted for its substantial refugee population, one of the largest in the state. The school predominantly serves students from partner elementary districts Alhambra, Creighton, Madison, Osborn, and Phoenix Elementary. However, students from across the district come to Central for its Phoenix Union Magnet Program in International Studies.
- Central is a "performing" school according to the Arizona Department of Education.
- Central has had 96 students recognized as National Merit Scholars in the past 15 years.
- Central High School has a wide variety of clubs and organizations.
- The International Studies program includes foreign exchange programs
Partner elementary districts
- Mark Asher - local sports radio host
- Suzanne Barr - former Chief of Staff, U.S. Immigration & Custom Enforcement (ICE)
- Dr. David D. Burns, Internationally recognized lecturer, teacher and expert in depression
- Trung Canidate -Former NFL Running Back
- Bryan Colangelo - NBA executive
- Lois Drinkwater - sprinter and the first Arizona female to run in the Olympics (1968 as a junior)
- Dom Flemons - Carolina Chocolate Drops band member and 2011 Grammy Award winner for Best American Folk Album
- Larry Gonick - Nationally and internationally recognized cartoonist and lecturer on communication
- Phil Gordon - Former Mayor of Phoenix
- Rogue Guirey-Simpson, Artist
- Alex Hinds - County Planner of Lakeport CA, San Luis Obispo and Marin County
- Craig Liston - In 1964 quarterbacked the Phoenix College Football Bears to the National Junior College Championship. Selected in 2008 to the Phoenix College Athletics Hall of Fame Class.
- Chuey Martinez - Radio Personality & MTV Tr3's VJ 
- Cindy McCain - wife of Senator John McCain
- Richard Page - singer of pop rock band, Mr. Mister
- Gary Rajsich - Former MLB player (New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants)
- Kevin Giovanni Angelo Rivers (Tio Gio) - Radio Host KKFR Power 98.3
- Jay Schlueter, Former MLB player (Houston Astros)
- Dr. Volker Sonntag, Vice-Chairman, Barrows Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
- Ramses King-Taylor II (Ramses Ja) - Notable DJ and on-air personality for KNRJ-FM, 101.1 FM The Beat and Resident DJ for KTVK-3TV Channel 3's Your Life A to Z
- Jonathan Thymius - Comedian/Last Comic Standing finalist
- Deongello Floyd Vanorsby - On-air personality for Power 98.3 FM
- Augustine Roberto Felix (Auggie 5000) - Radio Personality KKFR Power 98.3
- Marilyn Ramenofsky Wingfield - Three-time U.S. swimming champion broke world record in 400-meter freestyle three times in 1964.
- Win Young - Olympic Bronze Medalist in Diving, 1968
- Patrick Montgomery-Minor League Football HOF Member
- Chris Rogers
- AIA 2012 enrollment figures
- http://www.phxhs.k12.az.us/education/school/school.php?sectionid=6 Central High School
- Central High School
- Phoenix Union High School District website
- Arizona Department of Education School Report Card