Central Karoo District Municipality
Location in South Africa
Local municipalities within the Central Karoo
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Doreen Hugo|
|• Total||38,854 km2 (15,002 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.8/km2 (4.7/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||12.7%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
The Central Karoo District Municipality (Afrikaans: Sentraal Karoo-distriksmunisipaliteit) is a district municipality located in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. Its municipality code is DC5.
The Central Karoo District Municipality is divided into three local municipalities, which are described in the following table.
|Laingsburg Local Municipality||Laingsburg||8,289||8,784||0.94|
|Prince Albert Local Municipality||Prince Albert||13,136||8,153||1.61|
|Beaufort West Local Municipality||Beaufort West||49,586||21,917||2.26|
- Pixley ka Seme District Municipality, Northern Cape (northeast)
- Cacadu District Municipality, Eastern Cape (east)
- Eden District Municipality (south)
- Cape Winelands District Municipality (southwest)
- Namakwa District Municipality, Northern Cape (northwest)
The council of the Central Karoo District Municipality consists of thirteen councillors, of whom six are directly elected by party-list proportional representation, and seven are appointed by the councils of the constituent local municipalities: five by Beaufort West and one each by Laingsburg and Prince Albert. As of August 2012[update] there are six councillors representing the African National Congress (ANC), six representing the Democratic Alliance (DA), and one representing the Karoo Gemeenskaps Party (KGP). The KGP councillor is in a coalition with the ANC. The mayor is Edward Njadu and the deputy mayor is Elsabe Maans; both are ANC representatives.
The following table shows the detailed composition of the council.
|Appointed by Laingsburg||0||1||0|
|Appointed by Prince Albert||0||0||1|
|Appointed by Beaufort West||3||2||0|
The following table shows the results of the election of the ten directly-elected councillors on 18 May 2011.
|African National Congress||10,721||49.5||3|
|Independent Civic Organisation of South Africa||816||3.8||0|
|National People's Party||481||2.2||0|
|South African Progressive Civic Organisation||268||1.2||0|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Laingsburg Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Prince Albert Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Beaufort West Local Municipality". The Local Government Handbook. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- Census 2011 statistical tables accessible through Stats SA SuperWEB.
- "Political composition of councils". Western Cape Department of Local Government. August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Central Karoo District Municipality: Contact". Western Cape Government. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Central Karoo". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "% Spoilt Ballots: Western Cape: All Municipalities". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2012.