Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Central Military Commission is an organ of the Workers' Party of Korea which is responsible of coordinating the Party organizations within the Korean People's Army. The full and official name is Central Military Commission of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea. Its functions and characters are very similar to those of the Communist Party of China's CMC, even if the Korean CMC is surclassed by the National Defence Commission. According to the WPK Charter, the Central Military Commission directs Party activity in the Korean People's Army and is chaired by the Party General Secretary.
It was chaired by Kim Il-sung from its establishment in 1950 until his own death in 1994. Currently, its acting chairman is Kim Jong-un, who took over the post after the death of his father Kim Jong-il on 17 December 2011 and formally assumed the title on 11 April 2012.
The CMC lost authority in favor of the National Defence Commission, though its importance was re-asserted at the September 2010 Party Conference. At the conference, Kim Jong-il's son Kim Jong-un was elected vice-chairman (first in order of importance despite not being a Vice Marshal nor a Politburo member), with the other vice-chairman being Ri Yong-ho, the Chief of the Korean People's Army General Staff, who served till his 2012 retirement from military service.
- Vice Marshal Kim Yong-chun, Director, WPK Civil Defence Department
- Vice Marshal Hyon Chol-hae
- General Kim Kyong-ok, First Vice Director, WPK Organization Guidance Department
- General Kim Won-hong, Minister of State Security
- General Ri Pyong-chol, Commander, KPA Air Force
- General Choe Pu-il, Minister of People's Security
- General Yun Jong-rin, Commander, Central Guard
- General Kim Yong-chol, Director, NDC Reconnaissance General Bureau
- General Kim Kyok-sik, Chief of the KPA General Staff
- Reserve General Jang Song-taek, Vice Chairman, NDC
- Colonel General Choe Kyong-song, Commander, 11th Army Corps
- Colonel General Ri Yong-gil, Chief of the KPA General Staff Operations Bureau
- Colonel General Jang Jong-nam, Minister of the People's Armed Forces
- Lieutenant General Kim Rak-gyom, Commander, Strategic Rocket Forces
- Ju Kyu-chang, Director, WPK Machine-Building Industry Department
- Choe, Sang-hun (September 30, 2011). "North Korea’s ‘Dear Young General’ Has Made His Mark". New York Times. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "Party Central Military Commission, August 2013". North Korea Leadership Watch. 27 August 2013. Retrieved 28 August 2013.