Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Central Military Commission (CMC) is an organ of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) which is responsible of coordinating the Party organizations within the Korean People's Army. The full and official name is Central Military Commission of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea. According to the WPK Charter, the Central Military Commission directs WPK activity in the Korean People's Army (KPA) and is chaired by the WPK First Secretary. The CMC relies on a number of organizations to carry out its mandate, including the KPA General Political Department, the KWP Military Department, and the KWP Machine-Building Department. The CMC also uses the KWP Civil Defense Department to transmit guidance and indoctrination of North Korea’s reserve military training units.
It was chaired by Kim Il-sung from its establishment in 1950 until his own death in 1994. Currently, its chairman is Kim Jong-un, who took over the post in acting capacity after the death of his father Kim Jong-il on 17 December 2011 and formally assumed the title on 11 April 2012.
The CMC lost authority in favor of the National Defence Commission, though its importance was re-asserted at the September 2010 Party Conference. At the conference, Kim Jong-il's son Kim Jong-un was elected vice-chairman (first in order of importance despite not being a Vice Marshal nor a Politburo member), with the other vice-chairman being Ri Yong-ho, the Chief of the Korean People's Army General Staff, who served till his 2012 dismissal from military service.
- Vice Marshal Kim Yong-chun, Head, WPK Civil Defence Department
- Vice Marshal Hyon Chol-hae
- General Kim Kyong-ok, First Deputy Head, WPK Organization and Guidance Department
- General Kim Won-hong, Minister of State Security
- General Ri Pyong-chol, Commander, KPA Air Force
- General Choe Pu-il, Minister of People's Security
- General Yun Jong Rin, Commander, Supreme Guard Command
- General Kim Yong-chol, Director, NDC Reconnaissance General Bureau
- General Kim Kyok-sik, Chief of the KPA General Staff
- Colonel General Choe Kyong-song, Commander, 11th Army Corps
- Colonel General Ri Yong-gil, Chief of the KPA General Staff Operations Bureau
- Colonel General Jang Jong-nam, Minister of the People's Armed Forces
- Lieutenant General Kim Rak-gyom, Commander, Strategic Rocket Forces
- Ju Kyu-chang, Head, WPK Machine-Building Industry Department
- Choe, Sang-hun (September 30, 2011). "North Korea’s ‘Dear Young General’ Has Made His Mark". New York Times. Retrieved 19 December 2011.