Centre for Animals and Social Justice
|Type||Charitable company limited by guarantee|
|Dan Lyons, CEO|
|Website||Centre for Animals and Society Justice|
The Centre for Animals and Social Justice (CASJ) is a British charity founded in 2011 to advance the social and political status of nonhuman animals. The CASJ aims to "embed animal protection as a core goal of public policy." Dan Lyons, former campaigns director of Uncaged Campaigns and an honorary research fellow at the University of Sheffield, is the chief executive officer.
In addition to Lyons, other founding members were philosopher Ian Bergin; political theorists Alasdair Cochrane and Robert Garner of the University of Sheffield and University of Leicester respectively; Alistair Currie, senior research and campaigns coordinator for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) in the UK; Angela Roberts, founder of Uncaged Campaigns; and Kim Stallwood, formerly with PETA and the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection.
One of the issues the CASJ explores is how nonhumans can be offered political representation as vulnerable individuals. The centre awarded its first PhD studentship in October 2012 to Anne Marie Matarrese to write a thesis on that subject at the University of Leicester. CASJ was involved in 2012 with other animal protection groups in consulting with members of parliament over an amendment to the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.
- "Synopsis of Proceedings of CASJ ‘Animals and Public Policy’ Launch Seminar, 30 June 2011", CASJ.
- "CASJ – Centre for Animals and Social Justice", Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- "Animal Ethics and Public Policy", CASJ, July 2011.
- "Founding Committee and Staff", CASJ.
- "Research agenda", CASJ.
- Anne Marie Matarrese, "Researching the Political Representation of Animals", CASJ, 25 January 2013.
- "Draft Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 Amendment Regulations 2012", House of Commons, 3 December 2012.
- Centre for Animals and Society Justice
- "Towards joined-up animal welfare policy", Centre for Animals and Social Justice.
- Cochrane, Alasdair. Animal Rights without Liberation, Columbia University Press, 2013.
- Alistair Currie, The Guardian.
- Garner, Robert. A Theory of Justice for Animals, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Lyons, Dan. The Politics of Animal Experimentation, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.