Centre for International Law (CIL)
The Centre for International Law (Abbreviation: CIL) was established in 2009 at the National University of Singapore’s Bukit Timah Campus in response to the growing need for international law expertise and capacity building in the Asia-Pacific region. The founding director of the Centre is Associate Professor Robert C. Beckman and his deputy is Dr. Navin Rajagobal.
CIL engages in research, executive and student training, and counsel and consultancy on international law and policy. CIL organises conferences, seminars and forums to encourage dialogue and the sharing of information on significant international law and policy issues affecting South East Asia or the Asia-Pacific region. The Centre also collaborates with a network of partner organisations in Singapore and overseas to further the development of international law and policy thought leadership in the region.
The Centre for International Law (CIL) focuses on the following thematic areas:
- ASEAN Law and Policy
- Ocean Law and Policy
- Trade & Investment Law and Policy
- Aviation Law and Policy
- Intellectual Property Law and Policy
- International Dispute Resolution
CIL is a university-level research institute under the purview of the NUS Deputy President (Research & Technology). CIL is also closely affiliated with the NUS Law School. Academic staff of the NUS Law School and other experts who specialise in international law serve as associates of CIL and take part in its research and activities.
CIL provides to the public, at no cost, the CIL Documents Database, an on-line searchable resource of ASEAN Documents and International Law Documents that can be accessed by way of the Centre's website.
- CIL noted in Hansard (Parliament Reports) Singapore
- NUS Department Directory
- Ministry of Education, Singapore: Speeches
- "S'pore to set up new centre for international law", Straits Times, 28 February 2008
- http://www.nus.edu.sg/research/university.php List of NUS Research Institutes and Centres
- NUS Faculty of Law Directory