Location of Centreville, Mississippi
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (6.0 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (6.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||384 ft (117 m)|
|• Density||727/sq mi (280.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0668288|
Centreville is located at . The town is mostly within Wilkinson County with a portion in adjacent Amite County. In the 2000 census, 1,433 of the town's 1,680 residents (85.3%) lived in Wilkinson County and 247 (14.7%) in Amite County.(31.085909, -91.064922)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,680 people, 605 households, and 413 families residing in the town. The population density was 725.5 people per square mile (279.6/km²). There were 704 housing units at an average density of 304.0 per square mile (117.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 67.44% African American, 32.44% White, 0.06% Native American, and 0.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.24% of the population.
There were 605 households out of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.4% were married couples living together, 29.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.6% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.28.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.7% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 23.8% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 18.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 84.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $16,081, and the median income for a family was $18,077. Males had a median income of $29,375 versus $16,364 for females. The per capita income for the town was $10,446. About 38.7% of families and 40.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 53.1% of those under age 18 and 32.2% of those age 65 or over.
||This list of "famous" or "notable" persons has no clear inclusion or exclusion criteria. Please help to define clear inclusion criteria and edit the list to contain only subjects that fit those criteria. (August 2013)|
- John Neely Kennedy, State Treasurer of Louisiana
- Albert Lewis, Hall of Fame member of the Kansas City Chiefs; retired to a ranch in Centreville.
- Anne Moody, civil rights activist and author of Coming of Age in Mississippi
- Kevin Windham, pro motorcross, supercross racer
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Centreville town, Mississippi". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 19, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Subcounty population estimates: Mississippi 2000-2006" (CSV). United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2007-06-28. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- McCraine, Don. "Former NFL Cornerback Albert Lewis Finds New Challenge at Centreville Ranch". Associated Press. Retrieved March 2014.