Century 21 Real Estate
|Subsidiary of Realogy|
|Headquarters||Madison, New Jersey, U.S.|
Number of locations
|74 countries and territories|
|Rick Davidson, President & CEO; Greg Sexton, COO; Mike Miedler, SVP Franchise Sales|
|Revenue||Current information not available.|
Number of employees
|Slogan||The GOLD Standard|
Century 21 Real Estate LLC is an American real estate agent franchise company founded in 1971. The System consists of approximately 7,100 independently owned and operated franchised broker offices in 74 countries and territories worldwide with over 100,000 sales professionals.
Here Bartlett revealed how they decided on the name:
We were brainstorming at lunch one day - my former VP and I - and I said the name had to sound like it had been around for a long time. [...] My former VP suggested 20th Century Realty. I thought it would be impossible to get the name registered. He said 21st Realty, but I didn't like that. He then said, "How about Century 21?" I liked it, though it sounded futuristic. [...] I called Marsh and told him, but he thought it was too futuristic. He wanted Green Valley. Well, we finally agreed on Century 21, and we incorporated the company.
— Art Bartlett
Century 21 was acquired by Transworld in 1979; when Transworld decided to focus on hospitality in 1985, MetLife acquired Century 21. When MetLife decided to leave the housing business, Century 21 was sold to Hospitality Franchise Systems (later Cendant) in 1995. When Cendant split, Century 21 became part of Realogy.
- . COMSCORE 12/13-3/13. Missing or empty
- Alejandro Lazo (6 January 2010). "Co-founder of real estate giant Century 21". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Hayes, John P. (1990) Art Bartlett: The Man Who Redefined Franchising
- FURLONG, TOM (1985-05-29). "Transworld Plans Sale of Its Century 21 Unit : Price for Real Estate Subsidiary May Reach $200 Million; Parent to Buy 11% of Own Stock". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- BERKMAN, LESLIE (1985-08-21). "Metropolitan Life Will Purchase Century 21". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- "Century 21 Is Sold To A Hotel Company Metlife Is The Seller, Hospitality Franchise Systems The Buyer. Some Franchisees Don't Expect Much Change Locally. - Philly.com". Retrieved 2015-01-04.