Century 21 Real Estate
|Type||Subsidiary of Realogy|
|Headquarters||Madison, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Number of locations||73 countries and territories|
|Key people||Rick Davidson, President & CEO; Greg Sexton, COO; Bev Thorne, CMO; Mark Foreman, SVP Strategic Growth & Industry Relations; Mike Miedler, SVP Franchise Sales|
|Revenue||Current information not available.|
Century 21 Real Estate LLC is an American real estate agent franchise company founded in 1971. The System consists of approximately 7,100 independently owned and operated franchised broker offices in 73 countries and territories worldwide with over 100,000 sales professionals.
The 2012 Millward Brown consumer survey revealed, for the 14th year in a row, Century 21 Real Estate LLC is the estate brand with the highest level of brand awareness as well as the most respected brand in the industry.
Since December 2012, www.Century21.com has been the most visited real estate franchise web site.
The company is owned by Realogy, which also owns Coldwell Banker, Corcoran Real Estate, Sotheby's International Realty, Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate and ERA Real Estate. Century 21 Real Estate is headquartered in Parsippany, New Jersey.
Here Bartlett revealed how they decided on the name:
We were brainstorming at lunch one day - my former VP and I - and I said the name had to sound like it had been around for a long time. [...] My former VP suggested 20th Century Realty. I thought it would be impossible to get the name registered. He said 21st Realty, but I didn't like that. He then said, "How about Century 21?" I liked it, though it sounded futuristic. [...] I called Marsh and told him, but he thought it was too futuristic. He wanted Green Valley. Well, we finally agreed on Century 21, and we incorporated the company.
— Art Bartlett
Century 21 Real Estate LLC Established: Real estate brokers Art Bartlett and Marsh Fisher formed this company in Orange County California on July 28, 1971. With approximately 100,000 sales professionals in approximately 7,100 offices worldwide, the CENTURY 21 System is the world’s largest residential real estate sales organization, providing comprehensive training and marketing support for its members.
CENTURY 21 brokers and sales associates use cutting-edge technology to make the transaction as smooth and convenient as possible. For more information, visit www.century21.com.
World Headquarters Century 21 Real Estate LLC 175 Madison Ave. Madison, New Jersey 07940 877-221-2765 www.century21.com
- Richard W. Davidson, President and CEO
- Bev Thorne, Chief Marketing Officer
- Greg Sexton, Chief Operating Officer
- Mark Foreman, Senior Vice President, Strategic Growth and Industry Relations
- Mike Miedler, Senior Vice President, Franchise Sales
Parent Company: Realogy Holdings Corp. Richard A. Smith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer & President Alexander E. Perriello, III, President & Chief Executive Officer, Realogy Franchise Group For information about Realogy, visit www.realogy.com.
Locations: Century 21 Real Estate LLC has a global reach, with offices in 73 countries and territories worldwide. There are more than 4,600 international offices outside the United States in the following countries:
- Cape Verde
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Puerto Rico
- Saudi Arabia
- St. Martin/St. Maarten
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks & Caicos
Century 21 Real Estate LLC Milestones
- July 1971 CENTURY 21® is founded by Art Bartlett and Marsh Fisher in Orange County, California.
- March 1973 CENTURY 21® hosts its first national convention in Las Vegas.
- August 1974 The CENTURY 21® System announces the signing of its first international Master Franchise Agreement with U. Gary Charlwood and Peter Thomas to develop CENTURY 21 offices throughout Canada. The first offices opened January 15, 1974.
- September 1979 Transworld Corporation buys 100% of CENTURY 21 Real Estate Corporation stock.
- October 1979 Easter Seals is chosen to become the System's major philanthropic partner.
- June 1983 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation signs an agreement with C. Itoh and Co., Ltd., to franchise real estate offices in Japan, the System's second international franchise agreement.
- September 1985 Metropolitan Life Insurance Company acquires CENTURY 21 Real Estate Corporation.
- March 1987 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation signs an agreement with Michel Trolle to franchise real estate offices in throughout France.
- May 1989 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation signs agreement with Phil Yeager to franchise real estate offices in Mexico.
- October 1989 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation signs agreement with CENTURY 21 Australasia, Pty. Ltd. to franchise real estate offices in Australia and New Zealand.
- October 1991 CENTURY 21® institutes a Quality Service Training Program and a Seller Service Pledge Certificate that details services will be provided to a seller listing their property with the CENTURY 21 System.
- August 1993 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation signs agreement with Luke Ng, CENTURY 21 Hong Kong Limited to franchise real estate offices in Hong Kong.
- January 1994 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation signs agreement with Rudy Geudens to franchise real estate offices in the Benelux Region.
- June 1995 Century 21 Real Estate Corporation becomes part of Hospitality Franchise Systems (HFS), the precursor of Cendant Corporation.
- March 1996 CENTURY 21 Fine Homes & Estates® and CENTURY 21 Recreational PropertiesSM is created. Fine Homes & Estates is aimed to market high-end properties priced at $500,000 or above. Recreational Properties is created to market vacation and second homes.
- May 1998 The CENTURY 21 System announces the signing of a master franchise agreement to develop CENTURY 21 offices throughout South America.
- October 2000 CENTURY 21 China opens its first franchise office in Beijing as part of a Master Franchise Agreement.
- December 2002 Century21Espanol.com, the CENTURY 21 System's Spanish-language site, earns an Outstanding Web Site award from the 2002 WebAwards competition.
- June 2004 Web Marketing Association awards Century 21 Real Estate Corporation with an Internet Advertising Competition (IAC) award for its online Hispanic advertising campaign.
- May 2006 Century 21 Real Estate LLC signs a master franchise agreement to license CENTURY 21 franchises in Russia.
- November 2006 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces launch of CENTURY 21 Mobile (mobile.c21.com or mobile.century21.com) which allows consumers access to property listing and offices searches via PDAs, cell phones and other handheld devices with Internet access capability.
- December 2006 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces a master franchise agreement in Romania to create CENTURY 21 Romania and the opening of its first offices affiliated with CENTURY 21 Bulgaria.
- March 2007 The CENTURY 21 Learning System is named to Training magazine's "Training Top 125" for the sixth consecutive year.
- November 2007 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces its expansion into South Africa. Century 21 South Africa, headed by Dr. Duncan Gray, chief executive officer, granted exclusive franchising rights to the CENTURY 21 name and system throughout South Africa.
- August 2008 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announced its expansion in South America with the signing of a master franchise agreement to open CENTURY 21® franchises in Brazil.
- January 2009 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces decision to transition its national television advertising to additional online advertising, including media spend in the following categories in 2009: display, search engine marketing and partnerships with real estate listing Web sites.
- April 2009 CENTURY 21 Real Estate LLC Celebrates 30th Anniversary of its Philanthropic Partnership with Easter Seals.
- May 2009 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announced its expansion in Asia Pacific with the signing of a master franchise agreement to open CENTURY 21® franchises in Thailand.
- July 2009 Century 21 Real Estate LLC Recognized with Stevie® Award for Effectiveness of Online Advertising Shift
- August 2009 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces the signing of an agreement by its Caribbean master franchisee to open the first CENTURY 21® franchise in Bermuda.
- October 2009 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces its Web site, century21.com, was honored with an Online Advertising Creativity Award from the OMMA Awards, and a Web Award in real estate excellence from the Web Marketing Association.
- December 2009 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces the signing of a master franchise agreement to license CENTURY 21® franchises in Slovakia.
- February 2010 Richard W. Davidson appointed as president & CEO of Century 21 Real Estate LLC
- February 2010 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces that with the $2.1 million raised by its franchise system in 2009, it has surpassed $100 million in funds raised for and donated directly by the franchise system to Easter Seals, its sole philanthropic partner since 1979.
- March 2010 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announces its tenth consecutive year of market leadership in brand awareness. In a study conducted by Millward Brown, a leading global market research organization, the CENTURY 21® brand achieved 97 percent name recognition, the highest consumer awareness level when compared to other real estate brands. This is the 10th consecutive year in which Millward Brown’s research has demonstrated CENTURY 21 as the leader in real estate brand awareness among consumers.
- June 2010 Century 21 Real Estate LLC upgrades the mobile real estate experience with the launch of its dynamic iPhone App. The CENTURY 21® iPhone app automatically provides mobile users with property listings, open house information and CENTURY 21 office locations. It also provides a quick overview of the communities associated with each listing, including school details, community images and statistics.
- October 2010 Century 21 Real Estate LLC introduces “The Golden Ruler,” a new reporting tool for online property visibility. The Golden Ruler provides a detailed analysis of consumer views and leads resulting from the expanded visibility of CENTURY 21 home listings, which typically appear on over 500 real estate industry and aggregator websites.
- February 2011 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announced the launch of @C21 – Home Matters, the official blog of CENTURY 21®. @C21 – Home Matters is a unique digital destination for home buying and selling tips that are informative and inspiring. Those tips will be offered along with compelling narratives on the latest trends, industry news and key points to consider for anything related to homeownership.
- July 2011 Century 21 Real Estate LLC was recognized with the People’s Choice Innovator Award on July 28, 2011, the 40th anniversary of the brand. Voted on by consumers and real estate professionals, the Inman People's Choice Innovator Award recognizes a standout in real estate-related technology.
- December 2011 Century 21 Real Estate LLC was honored with the Stevie® Award for Best Mobile Marketing Campaign of the Year. This innovative mobile marketing campaign enabled the CENTURY 21® brand to explore and interact with a growing segment of consumers who are mobile and social.
- February 2012 Century 21 Real Estate LLC, releases its first Super Bowl commercial. With a rallying cry of 'SMARTER. BOLDER. FASTER.sm,' the ad matches a typical and unflappable CENTURY 21® Agent in clever scenarios with well-known celebrity icons Donald Trump, professional Football Hall of Famer and NFL analyst Deion Sanders, and world-renowned short-track speedskater Apolo Ohno.
- April 2012 Century 21 Real Estate LLC is recognized for its training programs with three AVA Awards and its ninth placement in Training Magazine’s Top 125 ranking during the past 11 years, the most by any real estate franchise brand.
- April 2012 Century 21 Real Estate LLC announced it is the official real estate company of U.S. Soccer, including the U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Teams, through March of 2014.
See also