|Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Elected||before August 833|
|Reign ended||4 February 870|
|Other posts||possibly Dean of Canterbury|
|Consecration||27 August 833|
|Died||4 February 870|
Ceolnoth (died 870) was a medieval English Archbishop of Canterbury.
Gervase of Canterbury says that Ceolnoth was Dean of the see of Canterbury previous to being elected to the archiepiscopal see of Canterbury, but this story has no confirmation in contemporary records. Ceolnoth was consecrated archbishop on 27 July 833. In 836, Ceolnoth presided, with Wiglaf of Mercia, over a council held at Croft attended by the clergy of the southern part of Britain. In 838 a council was held at Kingston upon Thames where Ceolnoth made an alliance with the West Saxon kings Egbert and Æthelwulf. This agreement gave control of all the free minsters in return for protection from Viking raids. However, monastic life had declined under the pressure of the Viking attacks, and there was a noticeable decline in the quality of the books and other works produced by the scriptoriums. He held councils in 839 and 845, the later at London. Ceolnoth, however, corresponded with Pope Leo IV. Archbishop Ceolnoth died on 4 February 870.
- Brooks Early History of the Church of Canterbury pp. 143–145
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 214
- Kirby Earliest English Kings p. 158
- Wareham "Ceolnoth (d. 870)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Blair Church in Anglo-Saxon Society p. 124
- Keynes "Ceolnoth" Blackwell Encyclopedia of Anglo-Saxon England
- Kirby Earliest English Kings p. 164
- Blair, John P. (2005). The Church in Anglo-Saxon Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-921117-5.
- Brooks, Nicholas (1984). The Early History of the Church of Canterbury: Christ Church from 597 to 1066. London: Leicester University Press. ISBN 0-7185-0041-5.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Kirby, D. P. (2000). The Earliest English Kings. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-24211-8.
- Keynes, Simon (2001). "Ceolnoth". In Lapidge, Michael; Blair, John; Keynes, Simon; Scragg, Donald. The Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing. pp. 92–93. ISBN 978-0-631-22492-1.
- Wareham, A. F. (2004). "Ceolnoth (d. 870)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/4999. Retrieved 7 November 2007.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Archbishop of Canterbury
|This article about an Archbishop of Canterbury is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|