Certified Associate in Project Management
Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) is a credential offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). As of July 2009, there were 8,976 active CAPM certified individuals worldwide. PMI’s Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) is an entry-level certification for project practitioners. Designed for those with less project experience, the CAPM is intended to demonstrate candidates' understanding of the fundamental knowledge, terminology and processes of effective project management.
The CAPM exam is based on the A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (aka the PMBOK Guide).
The Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) Credential Handbook, notes the distribution of questions from the PMBOK:
- Chapter 1 Introduction (0%)
- Chapter 2 Project Life Cycle and Organization (0%)
- Chapter 3 Project Management Processes for a Project (15%)
- Chapter 4 Project Integration Management (12%)
- Chapter 5 Project Scope Management (11%)
- Chapter 6 Project Time Management (12%)
- Chapter 7 Project Cost Management (7%)
- Chapter 8 Project Quality Management (6%)
- Chapter 9 Project Human Resource Management (8%)
- Chapter 10 Project Communications Management (6%)
- Chapter 11 Project Risk Management (9%)
- Chapter 12 Project Procurement Management (7%)
- Chapter 13 Project Stakeholder Management (7%)
The exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions with four answers per choice. The exam must be completed in three hours.
To be able to apply, one needs a secondary degree as well as a minimum of 1,500 hours of project experience or 23 hours of project management education.
- "CAPM Growth Surge". All Business. Retrieved October 10, 2010.
- "PMI CAPM Certification". Project Management Institute. Retrieved October 10, 2010.
- "PMP Credential Handbook" (PDF). Project Management Institute. Retrieved September 18, 2009.
- "Certified Associated in Project Management (CAPM) Credential Handbook" (PDF). Project Management Institute. Retrieved October 10, 2010.