Bovo in action during Torino–Zenit, 19 March 2015
|Date of birth||14 January 1983|
|Place of birth||Rome, Italy|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2004–2005||→ Parma (loan)||31||(2)|
|2007||→ Torino (loan)||7||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
In 2002 he was sold in co-ownership to Lecce (swapped with Mauro Rizzo), where he remained for two years and made his debut in Serie A on 5 October 2003 in Lecce-Brescia (1–4). On 2 May 2, 2004 he scored the 2-1 at home against Inter Milan, contributing to the salvation of Lecce from relegation. With 2 goals in the league, he achieved his personal record of goals in a season. In June 2004, he was redeemed by Roma for €10,000, while Rizzo returned to Lecce for €40,000.
On 31 July 2004 he moved to Parma in temporary deal for €100,000, as part of the signing of defender Matteo Ferrari,  Palermo bought half of his contract on 31 August 2014 for €1.5 million (in pure player exchange: Francesco Milano and Paolo Comi) Even this season he scored 2 goals in the league, equaling his record. The transfer of Bovo, Gianluca Curci, Simone Pepe and Valerio Virga were also accused uneconomical, and were compensation to Maurizio Zamparini for the acquirement of Palermo from Franco Sensi., which Roma denied, despite the sales of 4 players only received €1,500 cash plus half of the registration rights of two reserve players Comi and Milano. Roma did have a net short term debt to Palermo of €1.75 million on 30 June 2004 due to the transfer of Brienza–Bombardini, which paid by Roma in cash but counter-weighted on 30 June 2006 due to the full purchase of Bovo by Palermo .
On 1 July 2005 Bovo returned his hometown club, Roma in temporary deal for €750,000 (via the transfer of Massimo Bonanni to Palermo). His presence on the field was often limited by competition from Cristian Chivu, Philippe Mexès and Samuel Kuffour, such that the coach Luciano Spalletti often deployed him as a full-back.
citation needed] the transfer of the defender in rosanero materialised in June 2006 for €2.05 million; while Virga returned to Roma for €50,000. Roma made around €200,000 less to the bid of Palermo.[
Return to Palermo
He made his debut with Palermo in the second game of the third round of Coppa Italia against Ravenna (1–2), while his first goal for Palermo came in the third day of the championship against Genoa, with a great shot from outside the box. Along with Simon Kjær and Andrea Raggi, his task was to replace the vacancies left by departures of Andrea Barzagli, Cristian Zaccardo and Leandro Rinaudo. He finished the season with only 28 appearances due to the amount of cards received. He was Palermo's vice-captain along with Fabrizio Miccoli.
In the 2009-10 season, one of the best in his career, he marked his first goal 25 October 2009 in a home victory against the Udinese, on the ninth day of the season, with a deflected volley from the edge of the area. At the end of the season he suffered from metatarsalgia which required operation on 12 April 2010. Back on 24 April, he scored the first goal in a 3–1 win against A.C. Milan. He closed the season with a total of 29 appearances in the league (and 2 goals, a record equaled again) plus 3 appearances in Coppa Italia.
In the 2010-11 season, on 11 December 2010, he wore the captain's armband for the first time at home against Parma. On 22 January 2011, in Palermo-Brescia (1–0) of the 21st round, he scored the winning goal from a free kick in the 86th minute, equaling once again the personal record of goals scored in a season.
On 10 May, in the second leg of the Coppa Italia against Milan, he scored the 2–0 on a penalty kick, that ended 2–1. In the final, lost 3–1 to Inter, Bovo was disqualified due to his expulsion after the prior goal. He closed the season with 43 appearances and 5 goals between the league, Coppa Italia and Europa League.
Return to Genoa
He returned to the field 7 April 2012, the 31st round, replacing Emiliano Moretti in Novara-Genoa (1–1). In a match against Siena he sprained his right knee, tearing his outer meniscus, which prematurely closed his season with 8 appearances.
Return to Torino
On 9 July 2013 he moved back to Torino; this time outright for free six years after his previous experience in Turin. He was expected to replace Angelo Ogbonna. Genoa also transferred Moretti to Genoa for free as well as forward Ciro Immobile to Torino for €2.75 million.
During the 2013–14 season, he played in 20 league games for Torino and on 2 June 2014 he renewed his contract until 2016.
Bovo was part of the Italy under-21 team, of which he was captain, that won the 2004 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. He scored the momentary 2–0 in the 81st minute during the final against Serbia. The match ended 3–0 for the Azzurri.
In 2006 he disputed his second European Under-21 tournament, eliminated during the first round.
On 28 August 2010 he was called up to the senior national team by the new coach Cesare Prandelli, for matches against Estonia and Faroe Islands, during the qualifications for the UEFA Euro 2012 without ever taking to the field.
Style of play
A central defender, he was originally a left-back, but equally capable of playing in a back-line of 3 or 4 defenders. Bovo is noted for his ball control and is a free-kick specialist, possessing a strong shot from range.
Updated 21 December 2014.
|Season||Team||League||Domestic Cup||European Competition||Other Tournaments||Total|
- "Approvazione Situazione Mensile al 31 maggio 2004" (PDF) (in Italian). AS Roma. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "APPROVAZIONE SITUAZIONE MENSILE AL 30 GIUGNO 2004" (PDF) (in Italian). AS Roma. 31 July 2004. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "QUADRIENNALE PER ADRIANO, CEDUTI I FILIPPINI E VANNUCCHI, RISCATTATO PEPE" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 31 August 2004. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "RELAZIIONE SEMESTRALE AL 31 DIICEMBRE 2004" (PDF) (in Italian). AS Roma. 23 April 2005. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Quattro giovani ceduti al Palermo" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. 1 September 2004. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- "Precisazioni in merito alle operazioni di trasferimento con l’U.S. Città di Palermo" (PDF) (in Italian). AS Roma. 2 September 2004. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "BILANCIO DI ESERCIZIO E CONSOLIDATO AL 30 GIUGNO 2005" (PDF) (in Italian). AS Roma. 14 October 2005. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Ceduti Gasbarroni e Modesto, riscattato Budan, alle buste Bovo, Virga e Raimondi". US Citta di Palermo (in Italian). 20 June 2006. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Bilancio di esercizio al 30 giugno 2006" (PDF) (in Italian). AS Roma. 6 November 2006. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Lazio, buste ok: Pandev-Belleri". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 23 June 2006. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Tactical Formation". Football-Lineups.com. Retrieved 1 March 2007.
- US Città di Palermo SpA Report and Accounts on 30 June 2008 (Italian)
- "Bovo al Genoa in comproprietà" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 10 July 2007. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "DICHIARAZIONE DI ZAMPARINI" (in Italian). US Citta di Palermo. 2 September 2008. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Riscattati Bovo, Budan, Çani e Di Matteo. Biava al Genoa, rinnovata la comproprietà di Matteini" (in Italian). US Citta di Palermo. 19 June 2008. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- US Città di Palermo SpA Report and Accounts on 30 June 2012 (Italian)
- "Bovo ceduto al Genoa" [Bovo sold to Genoa] (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 23 August 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Genoa lose Bovo for a month". Football Italia.net. 4 December 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "CESARE BOVO CEDUTO AL TORINO" (in Italian). Genoa CFC. 9 July 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Genoa CFC SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 31 December 2013 (Italian)
- "Calciomercato Torino: Bovo è già del Torino. Cavani rallenta El Kaddouri". Tuttosport (in Italian). 4 July 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "Torino renew Bovo". Football Italia. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- Euro 2012: tornano Pirlo, Gilardino e Pazzini. Novità in difesa Figc.it
- Bovo, Cassani e Sirigu convocati in Nazionale Ilpalermocalcio.it
- Palermo, Bovo La migliore stagione del jolly Calciomercato.com
- Bovo: "Preferisco giocare al centro" Stadionews.it
- Paolo Vannini, Corriere dello Sport, 24 November 2010.
- Paolo Vannini, Corriere dello Sport, 22 gennaio 2011.
- "Petali di Rosa": la scheda di Cesare Bovo Mediagol.it
- Relegation playoff.
- 2 appearances in the play-offs.
- Third round preliminary.