Cesare d'Este, Duke of Modena
|Duke of Modena and Reggio|
|Cesare d'Este by Cesare Aretusi|
|Spouse||Virginia de' Medici|
|Issue||Alfonso, Duke of Modena
Laura, Duchess of Mirandola
Luigi, Lord of Montecchio
|Father||Alfonso d'Este, Marquis of Montecchio|
|Mother||Giulia della Rovere|
22 November 1553|
|Died||27 October 1597
Cesare d'Este (1561 – December 11, 1628) was Duke of Modena and Reggio from 1597 until his death.
Born in Ferrara, Cesare was the son of Alfonso d'Este, Marquis of Montecchio, fourth son of Alfonso I d'Este and the cousin of Alfonso II d'Este, duke of Ferrara and Modena.
When the latter died without heirs in the October 1597, Cesare inherited the duchy.
The legitimacy of the succession was recognised by the Emperor Rudolph II but not by Pope Clement VIII: thus, as Ferrara was nominally a Papal fief, the city was returned to the Papal States, despite the attempts of the young duke, who sought help from the major powers to no avail [clarification needed].
The capital was therefore moved to Modena, which he entered on January 30, 1598. His first years were troublesome: he had to face the quarrels between the Modenese and Ferrarese nobles who had come with him, the attempt at independence of Maro Pio of Sassuolo, and a war against Lucca for the possession of Garfagnana.
- Giulia d'Este (1588–1645) died unmarried;
- Alfonso III d'Este, Duke of Modena (1591–1644), father of Francesco I d'Este, Duke of Modena;
- Laura d'Este (1594–1630) married Alessandro I Pico, Duke of Mirandola and had issue;
- Luigi d'Este, Lord of Montecchio and Scandiano (1593/1594–1664), had issue;
- Caterina d'Este (1595–1618) died unmarried;
- Ippolito d'Este (1599–1647) died unmarried;
- Niccolo d'Este (1601–1640) married Sveva d'Avalos, no issue;
- Borso d'Este (1605–1657) married Ippolita d'Este (daughter of his brother Luigi) and had issue (including Maria Angela Caterina d'Este);
- Foresto d'Este (1606–1639/1640);
- Angela Caterina d'Este (died 1651), died unmarried, nun
Cesare d'Este, Duke of ModenaBorn: 1 June 1561 Died: 11 December 1628
|Duke of Modena and Reggio
- Il Castello Estense: genealogical tree