From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|History of Japan|
Chōhō (長保?) was a Japanese era name (年号, nengō,?, lit. "year name") after Chōtoku and before Kankō. This period spanned the years from January 999 through July 1004. The reigning emperor was Ichijō-tennō (一条天皇?).
Change of era
- 999 Chōhō gannen (長保元年?): The new era name was created to mark an event or a number of events. The previous era ended and a new one commenced in Chōtoku 5, on the 13th day of the 1st month of 999.
Events of the Chōhō era
- 999 (Chōhō 1, 11th month: A daughter of Fujiwara no Michinaga is accepted into the Imperial household as Emperor Ichijō's second empress consort. Aikio, better known as Fujiwara no Shōshi (988-1074), is given the title of Chūgū.
- 1001 (Chōhō 3, 11th month): The Imperial palace was destroyed by fire.
- 1001 (Chōhō 3, 12th month): The widow of Emperor En'yū and the mother of Emperor Ichijō died. She was formerly known as Fujiwara no Senshi.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Chōhō" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 119, p. 119, at Google Books; n.b., Louis-Frédéric is pseudonym of Louis-Frédéric Nussbaum, see Deutsche Nationalbibliothek Authority File.
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du japon, pp. 150-154; Brown, Delmer et al. (1979). Gukanshō, p. 302-307; Varely, H. Paul. (1980). Jinnō Shōtōki, pp. 192-195.
- Brown, p. 328.
- Titsingh, p. 153.
- Brown, Delmer M. and Ichirō Ishida, eds. (1979). Gukanshō: The Future and the Past. Berkeley: University of California Press. 10-ISBN 0-520-03460-0; 13-ISBN 978-0-520-03460-0; OCLC 251325323
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 10-ISBN 0-674-01753-6; 13-ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 58053128
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 5850691
- Varley, H. Paul. (1980). A Chronicle of Gods and Sovereigns: Jinnō Shōtōki of Kitabatake Chikafusa. New York: Columbia University Press. 10-ISBN 0231049404/13-ISBN 9780231049405; OCLC 6042764
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō