Chad Holley was an Elsik High School sophomore at the time of his arrest in 2010 as an alleged burglary suspect. During the arrest, he was beaten and kicked by the Houston Police Department (HPD). He was eventually found guilty and sentenced to probation until he turned 18.
On June 13, 2012, having just come off of probation the preceding April, Chad Holley was again arrested, this time by the Harris County Sheriff's Office, along with three others as they tried to evade police. The four were seen running out of a northwest Harris County home with items and driving off. A witness reported the break-in and gave 911 a description and the license plate number to the vehicle. Officers responding to the burglary-in-progress call pulled the vehicle over, taking all four into custody.  Quanell X claims was that Chad was "off his medications for mental illness and is a special education student" and does not comprehend the consequences.
After an investigation, 12 officers were disciplined, 7 were fired, and 4 were charged. All appealed the decisions. Officer Andrew Blomberg, the first of four officers to go on trial, has been acquitted of charges of "Official Oppression"
Mayor Parker says she'll be creating a new 20 member, independent police oversight board. There will also be a separate public safety advisory committee. The Office of Inspector General will act as confidential ombudsman for citizen complaints. The mayor said she will make an executive order, but the Houston Police Officer's Union says that step shouldn't be necessary as it would create an additional bureaucracy.
Civilians documenting police
Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland has said there has been an increase of people recording or taking pictures of police while making stops and is concerned that an intensifying anti-police sentiment in the community could increase negative interactions with residents.
- Oaklander, Mandy (Wed., Feb. 9 2011 @ 12:01PM). "Chad Holley's Police Beating Is Subject of an Angry NAACP Town Hall Meeting". Houston Press. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Willey, Jessica (October 26, 2010). "Jury reaches verdict in Chad Holley's trial". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Dolcefino, Wayne (February 3, 2011). "Exclusive video of HPD beating of teen burglar". KTRK-TV. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- Russell, Rucks; Zubowski, Courtney (Friday, Apr 30 at 9:08 AM). "Exclusive: Teen describes alleged beating by Houston police". KHOU-TV. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- "HCSO: Chad Holley arrested in connection with burglary". NBC Channel 2 Houston. June 13, 2012. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- ROGERS, BRIAN; PINKERTON, JAMES (June 23, 2010). "4 charged, 7 fired, 12 disciplined in HPD". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- "Not guilty verdict in case against ex-Houston officer Andrew Blomberg". KTRK-TV. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- Shay, Miya (February 18, 2011). "Leaders hope to restore trust in HPD". Houston Chronicle (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7966275).
- ref chron http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/06/chad-holley-appears-in-court-on-recent-burglary-charge/
- George, Cindy (Feb 18, 2011). "Residents videotaping officers worries HPD's chief". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
|This United States biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|