|Born||Chad Edward Mendes
May 1, 1985
Hanford, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||66 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Rank||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||California Polytechnic State University|
|Notable school(s)||Hanford High School|
|Website||Official UFC Profile|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Chad Edward Mendes (born May 1, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist who competes as a featherweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Mendes is currently ranked the #3 featherweight in the world by Sherdog.
Wrestling career 
High school 
Wrestling for Hanford High School, Mendes finished 8th in the state of California as a sophomore at 103 lbs in 2001. He placed 5th as a junior at 112 lbs in 2002 and 3rd as a senior at 119 lbs in 2003. Mendes was also a Cadet All-American.
Mendes wrestled for Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. He finished his career with an overall record of 64-14. As a senior, Mendes finished the year with a 30-1 record; he placed 2nd in the 2008 NCAA championships at 141 lb., falling to Ohio State's J Jaggers in the title match. That year, Mendes was Pac-10 Wrestler of the Year. Mendes also received All-American honors in 2006, finishing 6th at 125 lb.
Mixed Martial Arts career 
Early career 
After the conclusion of his NCAA Wrestling Career, Chad Mendes began to train with the mixed martial arts team Team Alpha Male. He began fighting for the Palace Fighting Championship and went undefeated. Mendes trains alongside Urijah Faber and Joseph Benavidez.
World Extreme Cagefighting 
Mendes made his WEC debut against Erik Koch on March 6, 2010 at WEC 47. He won the fight via unanimous decision, despite a cut over his right eye that was examined during the fight to see if he could continue.
Mendes faced Javier Vazquez on November 11, 2010 at WEC 52 and defeated him via unanimous decision. Mendes was able to utilize his improved striking to compliment his superior wrestling to dictate where he wanted to take the action. During the fight, Mendes used an unorthodox move when he front flipped on Vazquez who was on the ground, to land on him.
Ultimate Fighting Championship 
Following UFC 129, Dana White mentioned in the post-fight press conference that Mendes may have a shot at the title against UFC featherweight champion José Aldo. Although the two were expected to fight on August 6, 2011 at UFC 133, Aldo would be sidelined until October recovering from various injuries sustained during the Hominick bout. Mendes instead faced Rani Yahya at the event. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Mendes was expected to face Hacran Dias on December 15, 2012 at UFC on FX 6. However just days before the event, Dias pulled out of the bout citing a shoulder injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Yaotzin Meza. Mendes defeated Meza via KO at 3:38 in the first round.
Mendes was expected to face Manny Gamburyan on February 23, 2013 at UFC 157. However, Gamburyan pulled out of the bout, citing a thumb injury. Subsequently, Mendes was pulled from the card as a suitable replacement could be found on short notice.
Mendes was expected to face Clay Guida on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7. However it was revealed on March 15 that Guida had pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Darren Elkins. Mendes won the fight by TKO at 1:08 in the first round.
Personal life 
Mendes is of Portuguese, Italian, Puerto Rican, Irish and Native American descent.
Battery charges 
Mendes was charged with battery for alleged involvement in a bar fight on July 29, 2012 in his hometown of Hanford, California. Kings County Sheriff's deputies say Mendes punched a man in the face at a local bar which then ensued into a brawl. As Hanford police were called in to break it up, Mendes allegedly began yelling at the officers. Law enforcement say he was showing signs of intoxication and asked him to leave the premises. Instead, he turned and walked back into the bar and allegedly punched another patron. The Kings County District Attorney’s Office announced on August 25, 2012 that it would seek a battery charge against Mendes, which carries with it a possible $2,000 fine and up to six months in county jail. The charges were later dropped after Mendes pleaded no contest to a count of public disturbance and paid a fine.
Championships and accomplishments 
Collegiate wrestling 
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
Mixed martial arts record 
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||14 wins||1 loss|
|Win||14–1||Darren Elkins||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||1||1:08||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||13–1||Yaotzin Meza||KO (punches)||UFC on FX: Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson||December 15, 2012||1||1:55||Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia|
|Win||12–1||Cody McKenzie||TKO (body punch)||UFC 148||July 7, 2012||1||0:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–1||José Aldo||KO (knee)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||4:59||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||For the UFC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||11–0||Rani Yahya||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||3||5:00||Philadelpia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||10–0||Michihiro Omigawa||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 126||February 5, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Javier Vazquez||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Cub Swanson||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Anthony Morrison||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||1||2:13||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 47||March 6, 2010||3||5:00||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||5–0||Mike Joy||Decision (unanimous)||TPF 1||October 8, 2009||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Steven Siler||KO (punches)||TPF 3||July 16, 2009||1||0:44||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Art Arciniega||Decision (unanimous)||PFC 2||April 23, 2009||3||3:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Leland Gridley||TKO (punches)||PFC||February 6, 2009||2||1:58||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Giovanni Encarnacion||Submission (rear naked choke)||PFC 10||August 26, 2008||1||2:06||Lemoore, California, United States|
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. August 22, 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- "CHAD MENDES VS. ERIK KOCH ON FOR WEC COLUMBUS". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-01-26.
- "Chad Mendes replaces Mackens Semerzier, faces Anthony Morrison at WEC 48". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Chad Mendes vs Cub Swanson AT WEC 50 in August". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-06-22.
- "WEC 52 additions include Mendes-Vazquez". MMAjunkie.com. 2010-09-20.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa Official for UFC 126". bloodyelbow.com. December 21, 2010.
- "Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis Headlines UFC 133; Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes Likely Delayed". MMAWeekly.com. May 17, 2011.
- "Jose Aldo Out of UFC 133 Featherweight Title Defense Against Chad Mendes". MMAmania.com. May 24, 2011.
- "Chad Mendes meets Rani Yahya at UFC 133 in Philadelphia". mmajunkie.com. May 24, 2011.
- "Featherweights Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie added to UFC 148". mmajunkie.com. May 18, 2012.
- "Hacran Dias vs. Chad Mendes set for UFC on FX 6". mmajunkie.com. October 1, 2012.
- "Yaotzin Meza replaces Hacran Dias, meets Chad Mendes at Friday's UFC on FX 6". MMAjunkie.com. December 10, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Chad Mendes vs. Manny Gamburyan added to February's UFC 157 event". cagereligion.com. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- Pishna, Ken (2013-02-08). "Manny Gamburyan Forced Out of UFC 157; Chad Mendes Awaits New Opponent". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Staff (2013-02-08). "With no opponent, Chad Mendes off next week's UFC 157 card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Dann Stupp (February 12, 2013). "Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com.
- Greg Savage (2013-03-15). "Clay Guida Injured, Out of Chad Mendes Fight at UFC on Fox 7". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Matt Erickson (March 19, 2013). "Darren Elkins steps in for Clay Guida, meets Chad Mendes at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Chad Mendes - Twitter status (23 May)
- Chad Mendes now facing criminal charge
- "Battery charges against Chad Mendes dropped as D.A. accepts no contest plea to public disturbance". MMAFighting.com. October 22, 2012. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- "Chad Mendes wrestling". UFC.com. March 06, 2013. Retrieved March 06, 2013.
- "Chad Mendes wrestling". UFC.com. March 06, 2013. Retrieved March 06, 2013.