||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
Chad Szeliga performing on stage at a Breaking Benjamin concert.
|Genres||Heavy metal, post-grunge, hard rock|
|Associated acts||Breaking Benjamin, Switched, Leo, Forever Oeuvre, APG, OurAfter, Crystal Bowersox, Hourcast, Black Label Society|
Chad Szeligais an American drummer from Elyria, Ohio. He is best known as the former drummer for the band Breaking Benjamin. In 2013, Zakk Wylde introduced Szeliga as Black Label Society's new drummer, replacing Mike Froedge.
While with Another Path, Chad recorded an audition video for Breaking Benjamin playing drums for the song "So Cold". The video submitted happened to be the only VHS tape submitted. Ben Burnley was forced to borrow a VCR from his neighbor to view the tape. After Ben reviewed the tape, the band decided he was the right guy for the job. His first official recording with the band was for the full-band version of the song "Rain" from We Are Not Alone in mid-2005, which was sent to modern radio, and later appeared on the band's cover of Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever". He recorded with Breaking Benjamin on their 2006 album Phobia, which was released August 8, 2006. He also joined the band on their tour supporting that album. During their hiatus, Chad stayed active with Breaking Benjamin fans giving them updates on his life assuring them Breaking Benjamin was still around. As well as running a "Cards for Ben" campaign, where fans sent Ben Get-Well cards and fan letters. Ben responded via Chad's Facebook saying he appreciated the response and thanked Chad for his support.
Chad has stated he prefers to use smaller sized drums for the tone, feel and projection. His drum setup is as follows:
Drum Workshop drums:
- 20 x 16" kick drum
- 13 x 6" snare drum
- 10 x 5" auxiliary snare
- 8 x 5" rack tom
- 10 x 6" rack tom
- 14 x 12" floor tom (x2)
- 16" × 14" floor tom
- 13" A Custom Mastersound Hi Hats
- 13" Avedis Pocket Hi Hats
- 18" Oriental China Trash
- 16" K EFX Crash/10" ZHT Trashformer stack
- 8" K Splash
- 6" Avedis Splash
- 18" A Custom Rezo Crash
- 6" Zil-Bel
- 8" A Custom Splash
- 9" Oriental Trash Splash
- 20" Avedis Earth Ride
- 17" K Custom Hybrid China/11" Oriental Trash Splash stack
- 19" A Custom Rezo Crash
- 19" A Ultra-Hammered China
- 20" A Custom EFX Crash
With Breakig Benjamin
- We Are Not Alone
- Dear Agony
- Shallow Bay: The Best of Breaking Benjamin
With Black Label Society
- Catacombs of the Black Vatican
- Subject to Change
- Ghosts in the Machine
- "BLACK LABEL SOCIETY Recruits BREAKING BENJAMIN Drummer". Blabbermouth.net. September 14, 2011. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Chad Szeliga Video Audition for Breaking Benjamin So Cold Elyria Ohio". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Breaking Benjamin Underground". The Shallow Bay. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Breaking Benjamin - Chad Szeliga". Retrieved 2009-04-07.