Chadinga Conservation Park
|Chadinga Conservation Park
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
|Nearest town or city||Penong, South Australia|
|Established||11 November 1993|
|Area||11,854 hectares (29,290 acres) |
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Chadinga Conservation Park, formerly the Chadinga Conservation Reserve, is a protected area in the Chadinga Dunes on the western side of Lake MacDonnell, near Penong, South Australia. The park covers 11,854 hectares (45.8 sq mi) of coastal dunes, containing a lake and areas of Mallee scrub. It is commonly called "Tuckamore" by local people. The dunes extend up to 3 km inland and form a habitat for the spinifex hopping mouse. The park has no visitor facilities, although bush camping is permitted.
Within the reserve is found the Dinosaur Ant (Nothomyrmecia macrops), noted as a "living fossil". The lake is the largest of several salt lakes in the area - others include Red Lake (a small section of Lake MacDonnell cut off by the Penong to Point Sinclair/Cactus Beach road) and Blue Lake, a smaller lake to the south of Lake MacDonnell.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 17 Feb 2014)". Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Chadinga Conservation Park". Department for Environment and Heritage. Retrieved 2008-03-11.[dead link]
- "Australian National Parks, Chadinga Conservation Reserve". Australiannationalparks.com. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- "Dinosaur Ant, Fossil Ant (Nothomyrmecia macrops)". Department for the Environment, Water Heritage and the Arts. Retrieved 2007-03-11.
- Baroni Urbani C. 2008. Orthotaxonomy and parataxonomy of true and presumed bulldog ants (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Doriana 8, N. 358: 1-10.
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Australia protected areas related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|