Chagrin Falls, Ohio
|Chagrin Falls, Ohio|
Chagrin Falls Popcorn Shop from Main Street
Location of Chagrin Falls in Ohio
Location of Chagrin Falls in Cuyahoga County
|• Mayor||Thomas Brick|
|• Total||2.14 sq mi (5.54 km2)|
|• Land||2.08 sq mi (5.39 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.16 km2)|
|Elevation||1,004 ft (306 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||4,079|
|• Density||1,977.4/sq mi (763.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1083437|
Chagrin Falls is a village in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. It is an affluent suburb of Cleveland in Northeast Ohio's Cleveland-Akron-Canton metropolitan area, the 15th largest Combined Statistical Area nationwide. The village was established and has grown around a natural waterfall on the Chagrin River. As of the 2010 census, the village population was 4,113. The village was incorporated in 1844 from parts of three townships in two counties. Neighboring Chagrin Falls Township was established in 1845.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.14 square miles (5.54 km2), of which, 2.08 square miles (5.39 km2) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,113 people, 1,872 households, and 1,049 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,977.4 inhabitants per square mile (763.5 /km2). There were 2,042 housing units at an average density of 981.7 per square mile (379.0 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.0% White, 0.4% African American, 0.8% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.1% from other races, and 0.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.9% of the population.
There were 1,872 households of which 28.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.2% were married couples living together, 8.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 44.0% were non-families. 39.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.94.
The median age in the village was 46.1 years. 23.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.3% were from 25 to 44; 29% were from 45 to 64; and 22.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 46.2% male and 53.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,024 people, 1,862 households, and 1,100 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,943.2 people per square mile (750.6/km²). There were 2,041 housing units at an average density of 985.6 per square mile (380.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.71% White, 0.05% African American, 0.02% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.22% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.89% of the population.
There were 1,862 households, out of which 27.1% had children under age 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.9% were non-families. 36.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the village the population was spread out, with 22.2% under age 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 19.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 84.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $62,917, and the median income for a family was $90,094. Males had a median income of $69,609 versus $36,319 for females. The per capita income for the village was $42,885. About 2.4% of families and 3.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.3% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Chagrin Falls is in the Chagrin Falls Exempted Village School District. This school district serves the village of Chagrin Falls as well as the villages of South Russell and Bentleyville, and a portion of the village of Moreland Hills, along with Bainbridge Township and Russell Township.
Chagrin Falls High School was rated 97th in Newsweek Magazine's "Complete List of the 1,200 Top U.S. Schools" in 2006. This study was based largely on the ratio of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests taken to the number of graduating high school seniors. Also in 2006, the Chagrin Falls district was given an "Excellent" rating for the sixth year in a row by Newsweek. On December 4, 2008, Chagrin Falls High School was once again ranked in the top 100 public high schools in the country. The school was rated 98th with a Quality-Adjusted Exams Per Test Taker ratio of 3.8. It is regularly ranked as the top high school in Northeast Ohio.
Police and Fire
The village of Chagrin Falls is served by the Chagrin Falls Police Department. The department also serves for neighboring Chagrin Township. The Chagrin Falls Fire Department is a full/part-time career fire department. It provides Fire/Rescue and EMS to the village of Chagrin Falls,Moreland Hills, South Russell, Bentlyville and Hunting Valley. The department has three ALS rescue squads, a heavy rescue truck, two engines, a ladder truck, as well as several paramedic bicycles, a paramedic gold cart and several command utility and EMS SUVs. Both departments serve under Chagrin Valley Dispatch and run under Hillcrest Hospital EMS command.
- The Chagrin Valley Little Theatre is one of the oldest community theaters in the country. * The Chagrin Valley Recreation Center hosts one of Northeast Ohio's longest-running annual swim meets each summer. The Chagrin Valley Invitation Relays have been held each summer since 1968.
- The town is referenced in the song Chagrin Falls by the Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip on their 1998 studio album Phantom Power.
Notable natives and residents
- Addie L. Ballou, 19th-century poet, artist, and suffragist
- Ellis Burks, former outfielder for the Boston Red Sox
- Tim Conway, comedic actor
- Wendy Diamond, author and TV personality
- Sonny Geraci, lead singer of The Outsiders and Climax
- Doug Kenney, co-founder of National Lampoon
- Bryan Malessa, novelist
- Diana Munz, athlete, Olympic gold medallist in swimming
- Elena Shaddow, Broadway actress, singer
- Lee Unkrich, Academy Award-winning film director (Toy Story 3)
- Fred van Lente, comic book writer (Action Philosophers!, The Incredible Hercules)
- Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes
- Scott Weiland, lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver
- Tom Griswold, host of The Bob & Tom Show, attended University School
- Corey Cott, Broadway actor
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Chagrin Falls village, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 22, 2011.
- Editorial staff (2008). Ohio Historic Places Dictionary, Volume 2. North American Book Dist LLC. p. 199. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Chagrin Valley Invitational Relays, chagrinrec.com, retrieved 29 March 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chagrin Falls, Ohio.|