Chail, Himachal Pradesh
View of hills from Chail
|Elevation||2,250 m (7,380 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||HP-51 & HP-52|
Chail is 44 km from Shimla. The Chail Palace is well known for its architecture, the palace was built as summer retreat by the Maharaja of Patiala during the British Raj, on the land allotted to him by the British for former's assistance in the Anglo-Nepalese War. The cricket ground and a polo ground which is there at an altitude of 2,444 m was owned by erstwhile royal family of Patiala. It is the world's highest cricket ground.
Chail is also considered as the hiker's paradise. The area is away from the bustling life of the state capital Shimla.
In 1891, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala incurred the rage of Lord Kitchener. It led to the restriction of his entry in the Indian summer capital, Shimla. This incensed the Maharaja and he vowed to build a new summer retreat for himself. So he rebuilt the place (Chail) as per his requirements.
After accession to the Indian Union, Maharaja of Patiala donated most of his buildings to Chail Military School and Government of India.
Chail is situated at an altitude of - 2,250 m, higher than Shimla. The place is surrounded by the forests of chir pine and gigantic deodars. Shimla and Kasauli can also be viewed at night from here. Chail is pleasant in summers and cold in winter. Average annual rainfall is about 150 mm.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- Rastriya Military School, It is home of Rastriya Military School Chail who is one of the five Rastriya Military Schools of country . Where approx 300 cadets from all parts of country are groomed to be the future leaders of country .
- Chail Sanctuary, Sadhupul (3 km)- The sanctuary was notified on 21 March 1976 near the town in district Shimla and covers an area of about 10,854.36 hectares. The Chail sanctuary has 'ghoral', 'kakkar', 'sambhar', 'red jungle fowl' and 'khalij' and 'cheer' pheasants. Machan like sighting posts have been built at Khuruin.
- Cricket Ground- Surrounded by thick forests of deodar, a well maintained Chail Cricket ground is the highest cricket ground in the world. It was built in 1893. This ground located at an altitude of 2,444 m. It is used as the school playground by Chail Military School. During school vacations it is also used as polo ground. There is a well maintained Basket Ball court and the same cricket ground is used for playing football as the ground also has goal posts.In one corner of the ground there is a historic tree on which the Military School has constructed a beautiful tree house.
- Chail Military School, situated in ancient buildings made by Maharaja of Patiala.
- Chail Gurudwara is also one of the main attractions of this place, it was the first building to be constructed by the Maharaja and after that the palace was built. The Gurudwara was built in indo-western style in 1907, the 22ft high wooden roof is its main and highlighting feature. it is a must place for the tourists to visit.
Chail is connected by road. From Shimla via Kufri the distance is 45 km and via Kandaghat is 49 km. Kalka is 86 km away. Regular buses for Chail leave from Shimla, Chandigarh and Delhi. The closest airports are at Chandigarh (120 km) and Shimla (63 km).
- Airport- Jubbarhati airport in Shimla.
- Railways- Kalka-Shimla railways.
- Roadways- Chail has good connectivity by road.
Places To Stay
Chail has many offerings for tourists. Owing to the serene Himalayan environs, the tourist focus is now shifting from the more congested and polluted erstwhile Summer Capital of the British, Shimla to Chail.
Chail stipulates for adventure seeking tourist, as it is being located in several mountain ranges and dark green forests. Tourists to Chail have great account of adventurous activities to perform and make their holidays unforgettable.
- Bamboo Bridge Adventure Activities: Bamboo Bridge to cross the river is a unique adventurous task to perform that increases the tourist's heartbeats.
- Flying Fox: Flying Fox is little dangerous to perform, hence it is being trained by the professionals in this area. For Tourists, it would make them feel as if they are flying through the forests of Chail.
- Rope Walk: Walking over the rope could be little challenging at a high altitude, but an exciting and life-risking experience at the same time. Balancing on the rope is very much important while performing this task.
- Rock Rappelling: Rock rappelling needs experienced instructors with excellent gears, who can make the tourists to perform this activity safely.
- Burma Bridge: Burma Bridge is made up of cable that is being used to walk and keep their body balancing at the same time. A small bridge of cable made is capable enough for tourist to sway away from one corner to another, but tourists are offered with proper protection all over the bridge to avoid any kind of harness.
- Tyre Bridge: Tyre Bridge is a chain like bridge made up of tyres with Hand rails on either side to hold while crossing the bridge to lend support.
- Commando: The Commando Net adds an element of fun and adventure to the tourists of Chail, as they walk through this long network of ropes resembling a spider web. Expert instructors are also available for offering the necessary guidance.
- Detail Info taken from Adventure Activities at Chail
- Few More to perform at Himachal (Chail) Activities in Himachal Pradesh