|Origin||Boulder, Colorado, United States|
|Genres||Electronic, synthpop, indie pop|
|Past members||Aaron Pfenning|
Chairlift is an American synthpop duo. Based in Brooklyn, New York, Chairlift consists of members Caroline Polachek (songwriting, vocals, tambourine, synthesizer) and Patrick Wimberly (drums, bass guitar, keyboard, production).
Chairlift formed initially as a project between Aaron Pfenning and Caroline Polachek at the University of Colorado in October 2005. The group intended to make background music for haunted houses. Along with bassist Kyle McCabe, Chairlift recorded the beginning of Daylight Savings EP at New Monkey Studio in Los Angeles, California in April 2006. Chairlift relocated to Williamsburg, Brooklyn in August 2006 and signed to Kanine Records in June 2007. Patrick Wimberly joined the group in early 2007. They released their first full-length album, Does You Inspire You, in 2008. The single "Evident Utensil" was nominated for an award in the "Breakthrough Video" category at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.
Pfenning left Chairlift in 2010 to pursue his solo career in Rewards.
iPod commercial 
Polachek was featured in the chillwave band Washed Out's single "You and I" (2010), in Acrylics' "Sparrow Song", in Flosstradamus' single "Big Bills", Holy Ghost!'s "I Know, I Hear", and Guards "Trophy Queen (feat. Caroline Polachek)". In 2010, she teamed up with Jorge Elbrecht of Brooklyn-based Violens to record a "sgin" of Justin Bieber's "Never Let You Go." "We went on youtube to find a video among the highest ranks of hits, and came across 'Never Let You Go.' Went on to make what we call a 'sgin' (anagram of the word 'sing')—an original song written specifically to synch into someone else's video on mute." In 2012, she sang with Ice Choir (solo project of Kurt Feldman of The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart) on the song Everything Is Spoilt By Use.
Studio albums 
- Does You Inspire You - Kanine Records - 11 September 2008
- Something - Columbia Records/Young Turks - 24 January 2012 (UK No. 131, US No. 184)
- Daylight Savings EP - self-released - June 2007
- "Evident Utensil" (2007)
- "Bruises" (2008; UK No. 50, U.S. No. 101)
- "Amanaemonesia" (2011)
- "Met Before" (2012)
- "I Belong In Your Arms" (2012)
- "I Belong In Your Arms (Japanese Version)" (2012)
- "Slant Magazine Music Review: Chairlift: Does You Inspire You". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "2009 MTV Video Music Awards: Breakthrough Video". MTV. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Alex Hudson (October 13, 2011). "Chairlift announce sophomore album". Exclaim!. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- corbin (September 7, 2011). "Chairlift – "Amanaemonesia" Video". Stereogum. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- Suzanne Baran (September 16, 2008). "Chairlift Gets A Boost From iPod Nano Ad". Yahoo! News. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Violens & Chairlift - Never Let You Go". No Conclusion. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Das Racist Relax Details". Stereogum. Retrieved 2011-09-08.