Chairman of the Board (film)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
|Chairman of the Board|
|Directed by||Alex Zamm|
|Produced by||Rupert Harvey
Peter M. Lenkov
|Screenplay by||Al Septien
|Story by||Al Septien
|Music by||Chris Hajian|
|Edited by||Jimmy Hill|
|Distributed by||Trimark Pictures|
|Release dates||March 13, 1998|
|Running time||95 minutes|
Chairman of the Board is a 1998 comedy film starring Courtney Thorne-Smith and Carrot Top in which a surfer/inventor (Carrot Top) inherits and runs a billionaire's company. It was poorly received by both critics and audiences.
Edison (Carrot Top) is a poor, failed inventor and surf bum, but soon runs into and befriends wealthy business magnate Armand McMillan (Jack Warden). When Armand passes away shortly thereafter, he leaves Edison the majority of shares in his large invention corporation, and leaves his jealous nephew, his only living relative, Bradford (Larry Miller) only a surfboard. Bradford attempts to derail Edison's success by stealing his formula for glow in the dark, which had not previously existed in the reality of this movie, and sharing it with a consumer who covers himself in it and alleges that Edison's prize invention—a portable TV/TV dinner combo—leaks radiation. When Edison reveals to all that radiation causes sickness and death—but not a literal glowing—and that he had invented the formula for glow in the dark, the company is saved and Edison appoints beau Natalie Stockwell (Courtney Thorne-Smith) to run the company.
- Carrot Top – Edison
- Courtney Thorne-Smith – Natalie Stockwell
- Larry Miller – Bradford McMillan
- Raquel Welch – Grace Kosik
- Mystro Clark – Ty
- Jack Plotnick – Zak
- Jack Warden – Armand McMillan
- Estelle Harris – Ms. Krubavitch
- Bill Erwin - Landers
- M. Emmet Walsh – Freemont
- Jack McGee - Harlan Granger
- Glenn Shadix – Larry
- Fred Stoller - Toby, McMillan Gate Guard
- Taylor Negron – Mr Withermeyer
- Jack Riley - Condom Boss
- Rance Howard - Rev. Hatley
- Mark Kriski - Newscaster
- Cindy Margolis - Tennis Instructor
- Butterbean - Museum Security Guard
- Little Richard
Chairman of the Board has received negative reviews, currently holding a Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 13%.
During a promotional appearance for the film on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Thorne-Smith was the second guest after comedian Norm Macdonald, who frequently interrupted Thorne-Smith's attempt to promote the movie with jokes about Carrot Top and the movie failing at the box office, much to the apparent surprise and amusement of O'Brien, the audience and even Thorne-Smith. This interview was selected as a top moment from Late Night in several compilation episodes and specials, and continues to be distributed today via outlets such as YouTube.
Awards and nominations
|Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst New Star||Carrot Top||Nominated|
|Worst Supporting Actress||Raquel Welch||Nominated|
- Nelson, Michael J. "Inoperable Humor: The 5 Worst Comedies of All Time". Cracked. Retrieved 2007-03-26.
- "IMDb Charts: IMDb Bottom 100". Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- Chairman of the Board at the Internet Movie Database
- Charman of the Board at AllMovie
- Chairman of the Board at Rotten Tomatoes
- Chairman of the Board at Box Office Mojo