Chalice Recording Studios
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
Chalice Recording Studio is located in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA. Chalice opened in 2002 and is known for its elaborate interior decor and its large collection of rare and vintage analog recording equipment, .
When Chalice founder Ben Tao purchased 845 N. Highland in 2000, he chose to create an environment in which decorative detail could contribute to the artistic process. He wanted clients to be surrounded by amenities that one would normally find in upscale boutique hotels. The interior is influenced by global images and motifs such as photographs by Karl Blossfeld, artistic design from director Tarsem Singh's 'The Cell', imagery from 19th century Indo-Chinese opium dens and the Chalice Well located at the foot of Glastonbury Tor in Somerset, England. Chalice's logo is a mix of the form of a goblet and the blossom of the opium flower.
Since its very first session with Wyclef Jean, the studio has veered towards the younger end of the pop idol spectrum (Justin Bieber, One Direction, the cast of Glee, Skrillex...) and hip-hop artists (Game, Nicki Minaj, Diddy, Dr. Dre, T.I., Young Jeezy, and Nas).
Several albums which have been recorded and mixed at Chalice have achieved gold and platinum status. Notable clients include Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, The Wanted, Prince, Foo Fighters, Stevie Wonder, Nine Inch Nails, Beyoncé, Mariah Carey, Luis Miguel, Kanye West, No Doubt, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, Spike Stent, Alan Moulder and RedOne.
Gold/platinum albums recorded at Chalice
- Back to Basics (Christina Aguilera, 2006)
- Late Registration (Kanye West, 2005)
- A Girl like Me (Rihanna, 2006)
- Release Therapy (Ludacris, 2006)
- PCD (Pussycat Dolls, 2005)
- The Breakthrough (Mary J. Blige, 2005)
- Touch (Amerie, 2005)
- Danity Kane (Danity Kane, 2006)
- The High Road (JoJo, 2006)
- The Inspiration (Young Jeezy, 2006)
- The Price of Fame (Bow Wow, 2006)
- Graduation (Kanye West, 2007)
- Blackout (Britney Spears, 2007)
- Port of Miami (Rick Ross, 2007)
- Hip Hop Is Dead (Nas, 2007)
- In My Own Words (Ne-Yo, 2007)
- Todd Smith (LL Cool J, 2007)
- The Evolution of Robin Thicke (Robin Thicke, 2007)
- Headstrong (Ashley Tisdale, 2007)
- The Fame (Lady Gaga, 2008)
- Heavy Rotation (Anastacia, 2008)
- Perfectionist (Natalia Kills, 2011)