|Created by||Bill Burnett
|Developed by||Doug Hadders
|Voices of||E. G. Daily
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||42 (2 unaired) (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Bill Burnett
|Running time||22-23 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Frederator Studios
Nickelodeon Animation Studio
|Distributor||Mike Young Productions
|Original run||March 22, 2002– August 23, 2008|
ChalkZone is an American animated television series created by Bill Burnett and Larry Huber and produced by Frederator Studios for the Nickelodeon. The series follows Rudy Tabootie, an elementary school student whose magic chalk allows him into the ChalkZone, an alternate dimension where everything drawn on a blackboard and erased becomes real. The show concentrates on the adventures of Rudy, his sidekick Snap, and classmate Penny Sanchez within the zone.
ChalkZone originally aired as part of Fred Seibert's Oh Yeah! Cartoons animated shorts showcase in 1998. The series ran on Nickelodeon from March 22, 2002 through August 23, 2008, with 42 episodes in total, although the last two episodes remained unaired. It was distributed outside the United States by Canadian company Nelvana.
Rudolph "Rudy" Tabootie (voiced by E. G. Daily) is a 10-year-old fifth-grader who likes to make cartoon drawings, but Reggie Bullnerd (voiced by Candi Milo), the school bully, is always teasing him or getting him into trouble with Mr. Wilter (voiced by Robert Cait), Rudy's grumpy school teacher who strongly dislikes cartoons. One day Rudy discovers a piece of "White Lightning" chalk, which allows access to the ChalkZone, a place where everything and everyone that has ever been drawn in chalk and erased takes form as living or is tangible. He soon makes friends with Snap (voiced by Candi Milo), a small, blue, humanoid drawing made by Rudy when he was eight years old. Snap wears a superhero uniform and is very adventurous and witty. Rudy only lets one other person know about ChalkZone, his best friend and crush Penny Sanchez (speaking voice, Hynden Walch; singing voice, Robbyn Kirmsse), who acts as the genius of the group.
While in ChalkZone, the trio are introduced to Cyclops (voiced by Rodger Bumpass), the kilt-wearing guardian of the magic chalk mines where Rudy obtains his magic chalk (Rudy later draws a second eye for him and renames him "Biclops"); Queen Rapsheeba (voiced by Rosslynn Taylor), ChalkZone's song artist whom Snap has a crush on; and Blocky (voiced by Robert Cait and Candi Milo in his earlier appearances), a light green block friend of Snap's and Rudy's first-ever drawing. They are also faced with villains such as Skrawl (voiced by Jim Cummings), a drawing who blames Rudy for being ugly and wants to destroy him, and the Craniacs (voiced by Rob Paulsen), a series of robot drawings obsessed with collecting futuristic devices.
- Rudolph Bartholomew "Rudy" Tabootie- When Rudy Tabootie was 8 years old, he discovered ChalkZone during detention, by using a piece of magic chalk, placed with pieces of regular "White Lightning" chalk. Rudy is one of the few people to know about ChalkZone, and learned that all of his chalk drawings, from his first creation Blocky to his most recent creation Snap, become real in ChalkZone once erased from a blackboard. Current 10-year old Rudy has since made many friends in ChalkZone. Rudy, according to Byclops, is the current protector of ChalkZone, and must prevent ChalkZone from being discovered and invaded by people of the real world, and must also make sure he doesn't bring anything from ChalkZone into the real world, otherwise it can be destroyed, or worse, lead people to the discovery of ChalkZone.
- Penelope Victoria "Penny" Sanchez- Penny Sanchez is the newest student at Rudy's school. She is a scientist and Rudy's friend and crush. She is the only person Rudy has brought into ChalkZone on purpose. Penny is the brains of the group, and helps Rudy map out ChalkZone. Using her intellect, Penny can help pinpoint locations of chalkboards from within ChalkZone. Penny also helps cover for Rudy when he is busy in ChalkZone.
- Snap White- Snap was a superhero created by Rudy 2 years ago on the chalkboard in Mr. Wilter's room. Rudy, annoyed by the school bully Reggie Bullnerd, drew a picture of Snap fighting a Bull-nerd. Mr. Wilter erased the drawings, and Snap came to life. Snap considers himself as Rudy's greatest creation thus far, and helps Rudy out whenever he goes to ChalkZone, and also acts as a guide of ChalkZone. Snap has a crush on ChalkZone singer and rapper Queen Rapsheeba. He also has a pet moustache. In the episode "Snap out of Water," Snap substitutes Rudy while he is in ChalkZone, acting as a foreign exchange student named Snap White, from Greenland (He explains that the reason he is blue is because Greenland is very cold). Snap considers Rudy as his best friend, but sometimes takes his chalk-drawing abilities for granted.
- Horace T. Wilter- Mr. Wilter is Rudy's grumpy long-legged elementary school teacher who strongly dislikes cartoons, and has seen a silhouette of Rudy going into ChalkZone, but was considered crazy by the police after he explained that Rudy was coming out of the chalkboard. Mr. Wilter frowns upon Rudy and his love for drawing cartoons, despite the fact that he drew cartoons himself as a child.
- Mildred Trish "Millie" Tabootie- Millie is Rudy's mother. She is a stay-at-home mom, and loves to do yoga with her sister. As a child, she went to the old Plainsville school along with Joe, her husband and Rudy's father, and won the school Spelling Bee. She won by spelling the word "bananarama".
- Joseph Walter "Joe" Tabootie- Joe is Rudy's father. He owns and works at a butcher shop/deli/restaurant, constantly making new meat-based food inventions, including cheeseburger smoothies, burger gelatin, steak ice cream and cinnamon hot dogs. Rudy loves his dad a whole lot, because he barely gets to see his dad. He believes that Rudy spends too much time with his drawing. As a child, he went to the old Plainsville school, where he had a crush on Mildred, his wife and Rudy's mother. During the Spelling Bee, he wrote her a love letter, but was too shy to give it to her, and hid it in a loose floorboard of the school. He drew a chalk drawing of himself and Mildred in a heart about 20 years ago. A chalk drawing of him is still in ChalkZone with the same voice.
- Bruno Bullnerd- Mr. Bullnerd is Reggie's father. He is in charge of the Plainsville Dump and Dump Truck service.
- Reginald Clark "Reggie" Bullnerd- Reggie is Plainsville Elementary School's bully. What he lacks in brains, he makes up for in strength. He constantly takes money and lunches from Rudy and the school's chess club, and has no respect for his classmates. For example, in the episode "Rudy's Date," Reggie erases Penny's important formula for perpetual motion to play a game of hangman with the chess club. Reggie has seen the power of ChalkZone first hand, however, and has used red chalk against Rudy.
- Byclops- Byclops was originally a Cyclops drawn by a Scottish kid, given only one eye, a method of showing videos and images to people, and a short kilt. 2 years ago, Rudy first met the Cyclops in his home, the Magic Chalk Mines, where he told Rudy that other kids had also been to ChalkZone before, creating creatures, but leaving the people of ChalkZone to be forced to deal with the messes they made. Cyclops was created by one of those kids, but was angry that it was given only one eye, giving him lack of balance, and that his kilt was above his knees. He didn't believe that Rudy, or any other kid, for that matter, should be given the power of the magic chalk, and attempted to trap Rudy. While Rudy escaped, he gave Cyclops a second eye, placed just above the first, and since then, became known as Byclops. Byclops has watched Rudy over the years, and has seen that he only uses the magic chalk to help the people of ChalkZone. He does doubt whether or not Rudy should be trusted with the power of the magic chalk, but nonetheless allows Rudy to get as many magic chalk as he wants, as long as he protects ChalkZone from the real world.
- Queen Rapsheeba- Rapsheeba is an actress/singer/rapper in ChalkZone, as well as Snap's crush. She is introduced to Rudy in the episode "Rapunzel", where Rudy saves the theater from a storm cloud, as well as redraws the Rapunzel Set.
- Skrawl-Accidentally created by Rudy(as well as Reggie and other kids), Skrawl is an evil chalk drawing who doesn't know what he is, except an ugly abomination, and blames Rudy for it. Skrawl first appeared in "The Skrawl," where he acted as an anonymous curator to ChalkZone's Rudy Tabootie Art Museum, which contained many of Rudy's masterpieces in ChalkZone, from Bathtub Granny, to the Rapunzel set, to a Bus Stop he made 4 minutes before he got to the museum. As the curator, he asked Rudy to place his piece of chalk in a sealed container to prevent Rudy from saving himself. Skrawl is willing to do almost anything to take down Rudy.
- Blocky-Blocky is a green rectangle with thin legs, small stubby arms, and a warm smile. Blocky is one of Rudy's first drawings as a child, and is very friendly. He has questioned his simplicity as a drawing.
- Bathtub Granny-One of Rudy's earlier drawings, Bathtub Granny is a drawing Rudy made of someone's grandmother(presumably his own) in an old-fashioned bathtub with legs. Granny has been in the same bathub ever since, and usually walks around with it, while riding in the tub.
- Bull Nerd- Bull Nerd was based on Reggie Bullnerd, wearing the same shirt and tie that Reggie wears, but having horns, a tail, feet, and a head of a bull.
- Thor Throat(Human)-Thor Throat is considered the world's loudest wrestler. When Rudy's hometown, Plainsville, had the helmet of Wodin in their bank, and the city was changing the name to Plainville, he devised a plan to throw a party, with Joe Tabootie catering, claiming to love his cinnamon hot dogs. While Joe would be out of the restaurant, he would use dynamite to break the wall in the restaurant's basement, which would give him access to Plainsville's bank vault, and ultimately, the helmet of Wodin. Rudy, using ChalkZone, gave him a decoy instead.
- Thor Throat(ChalkZone)-The ChalkZone version of Thor Throat believes that he is the real version. He is presumably drawn a by a child who is a fan of the real Thor Throat. In the episode "The Heist", He helped Rudy take down the real version of Thor Throat.
||This section possibly contains original research. (November 2012)|
The show was originally featured as the first segment of the first episode of Nickelodeon's Oh Yeah! Cartoons. The series was announced in 1999, but was delayed. ChalkZone officially premiered on March 22, 2002, as the highest rated new show premiere in Nickelodeon's history up to that point. The show went on hiatus from June 22, 2005, to June 4, 2008. The remaining episodes aired on Nick between June 4, 2008 and August 23, 2008.
While there have not been any DVD releases specifically for Chalkzone, the "Christmas" episode was featured on the 2006 DVD Nick Picks Holiday. Two episodes and a music video ("Gift Adrift", "French Fry Falls", and "Escucha Mi Corazón") were released for the Nickstravaganza! 2 DVD. A soundtrack album In the Zone has also been released. The entire series is now available on Amazon Instant Video and the PlayStation Store.
- Liebenson, Donald (March 17, 2002). "'ChalkZone' ventures behind the blackboard". Chicago Tribune (Tribune Company). Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Ellin, Harlene (July 18, 1998). "New Cartoon Show Will Honor Irreverence". Chicago Tribune (Tribune Company). Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Ball, Ryan (May 8, 2003). "Nickelodeon Chalks Up More Chalkzone". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Nickelodeon Draws Best Kid Ratings in Four Years, Ranks as Number-One Net for First Quarter '02, SpongeBob SquarePants and ChalkZone Etch Out Top-Rated Territory, Kids Find The Fairly OddParents Fairly Fascinating". Viacom. April 2, 2002. Archived from the original on 17 August 2002. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Rudy & Chalkzone Gang: In the Zone [EP, Soundtrack]". Amazon.com. ASIN B000084U51.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: ChalkZone|
- ChalkZone at Frederator Studios
- ChalkZone at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- ChalkZone at the Internet Movie Database