Challenge (2009 film)
Theatrical Release Poster
|Directed by||Raj Chakraborty|
|Produced by||Shree Venkatesh Films|
|Screenplay by||N.K. Salil|
|Music by||Jeet Ganguly|
|Running time||120 minutes|
Challenge is a 2009 Bengali comedy, action film directed by Raj Chakraborty. The film is starring Dev and Subhashree Ganguly. For few scenes and music-video's, shooting was done in Dubai, Australia and New Zealand. The film is a remake of 2005 Telugu film Bunny. The film has a blockbuster sequel named Challenge 2.
It is an action comedy film. Subhashree portrays a girl with an extremely conservative/obsessive father. Her father just can’t tolelate any other guy looking at his daughter face to face. He can not accept any boy who tries to be friend with his daughter. He terrifies, beats everybody to protect his daughter. Subhashree in the films also loves her dad but at the same time dreams about someone capable enough to challenge her dad. Who can really fight her dad for Subhashree. Here comes our hero Dev to save and love Subhashree. Challenge is definitely a love story but “action” dominates everything else. In the fear of Pooja's boyfriend, her father sends her to his father-in-law's home. But at last the couples gets married and after some years they had a son. The plot of Challenge is not an original piece of work but the smart treatment does make it engaging. At the centre of the knotty affair is Rajatava, the baap of local goondas who is obsessed with the need to shield his daughter Subhashree from male gaze. Rajatava’s men bully every boy who dares look at her, but Cupid strikes when Dev-Subhashree meet and the hero takes on the father’s might with brain and brawn.
Despite the theme, which could have easily spiralled into the usual Tolly ordeal of sound and fury, Raj keeps the tenor breezy with music, humour and cute romance. Somak Mukherjee’s cinematography helps do the trick for Raj.
Challenge belongs to Dev. He does set hearts aflutter. He looks good, dances well and carries off the angry young man attitude with panache. And yes, he can act too. Subhashree, sweet and sassy, plays Miss Touch-me-not with poise but a little more effort would have helped her match up to her suave and spunky hero.
Rajatava looks a tad different from his other villainous roles as the story prevents him from going into the routine blood-and-gore nautanki. As the funny college principal, Kharaj is loud and theatrical but he fits into the scheme of things to make you laugh. Don’t miss little Aritra pulling out some gags in a cameo.
- Dev as Abir
- Subhashree Ganguly as Puja
- Biswajit Chakraborty as Abir's father
- Laboni Sarkar as Abir's mother
- Rajatava Dutta as Agnideb Sen
- Supriyo Dutta as the leader among the bodyguards of Puja
- Abhimanyu Mukherjee as the first victim who lost his eyes for seein puja
- Tulika as puja's mother
- "Spotlight". Calcutta, India: www.telegraphindia.com. 8 November 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- "Challenge (2009).". calcuttatube.com. Retrieved 2009-03-05.[dead link]
- "Subhashree - Exclusive Interview". calcuttatube.com. Retrieved 2009-03-05.[dead link]
- Nag, Kushali (21 October 2008). "Time for action". Calcutta, India: www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- "Foreign flavour". Calcutta, India: www.telegraphindia.com. 16 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-06.