|Chalmers "Spanky" Alford|
|Birth name||Chalmers Edward Alford|
|Also known as||Spanky|
|Born||May 22, 1955
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Died||March 24, 2008
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
|Genres||Jazz, blues, Neo-soul, gospel|
|Associated acts||John Mayer, Mighty Clouds of Joy, Joss Stone, Bee Gees, Raphael Saadiq, Mary J. Blige, Roy Hargrove, D'Angelo, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, The RH Factor, 2Pac|
Chalmers Edward "Spanky" Alford (May 22, 1955 – March 24, 2008) was an American three-time Grammy-winning jazz guitarist. Alford was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. He was well known for his playing style and use of arpeggiations. He had an illustrious career as a gospel quartet guitar player in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s with groups such as the Mighty Clouds of Joy among others.
Later in life, he found a new career in the neo-soul movement of the 1990s and 2000s, most notably contributing to the sounds of D'Angelo and Tony Toni Toné. Alford played guitar as part of The Soultronics (D'angelo's band for his 2000 "Voodoo" tour), alongside Questlove, James Poyser, Pino Palladino and Anthony Hamilton. He was a teacher, and was credited with teaching Raphael Saadiq among others to play guitar. He played on several albums with artists such as Joss Stone, John Mayer, Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq, D'Angelo and Roy Hargrove.
Alford died in March 2008, at the age of 52, in Huntsville, Alabama.
- Stan Jones - Out of the Shadows
- D'Angelo - Voodoo
- The Roots - Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart
- Joss Stone - Introducing Joss Stone
- Vikter Duplaix - Bold and Beautiful
- John Mayer - Continuum
- John Mayer - Try!
- Vick Allen - Simply Soul
- Evelyn Turrentine-Agee - Call Jesus
- Evelyn Turrentine-Agee - Go Through
- Ali Shaheed Muhammad - Shaheedullah and Stereotypes
- Roy Hargrove - Strength (EP)
- Norman Brown - West Coast Coolin'
- The Canton Spirituals - New Life: Live in Harvey, IL
- Rhian Benson - Gold Coast
- Roy Hargrove - Hard Groove
- Angie Stone - Black Diamond
- Raphael Saadiq - Instant Vintage
- Anthony Hamilton
- Bee Gees - Still Waters
- 2Pac - Until the End of Time
- A Tribe Called Quest - "4 Moms" (from The Love Movement)
- Al Green - Lay It Down