What the Swedish Butler Saw
|What the Swedish Butler Saw|
|Directed by||Vernon P. Becker|
|Produced by||Inge Ivarson|
|Written by||Vernon P. Becker
Barry E. Downes
|Based on||The Way of a Man with a Maid
|Editing by||Ingemar Ejve|
|Studio||Film AB Robur
|Distributed by||Independent International Pictures|
|Running time||73 minutes|
What the Swedish Butler Saw is a 1975 Swedish-American erotic sex comedy film directed by Vernon P. Becker and starring Ollie Soltoft, Sue Longhurst and Charlie Elvegard. It is known by several alternative titles including A Man with a Maid, The Groove Room and Champagnegalopp. The film is loosely based on the 1908 erotic novel The Way of a Man with a Maid.
During the 3-D revival of the 1980's, the film was re-released under the title "Tickled Pink", but the release did keep the "Swedish Butler" credit sequence intact.
Set in Victorian London, a young aristocrat, Jack Armstrong, is desperate to win the love of his beloved, the greedy Lady Alice Faversham. Jack buys an insane asylum to turn into a "love nest", unaware that Jack the Ripper still lives there.
- Ollie Soltoft as Jack Armstrong
- Sue Longhurst as Alice Faversham
- Charlie Elvegard as Samson
- Malou Cartwright as Penny
- Martin Young as Jack the Ripper
- Steven Lund as young Jack
- Diana Dors as Madame Helena
- Joe Grey as Judge Pettibone
- Larry Leonard as Mr. Pendleton
- Peter Rose as Reverend Faversham
- Julie Bernby as Mrs. Faversham
- Barbara Hart as Mrs. Armstrong
- Gil Holmes as Mr. Armstrong
- Tina Monell as Marion Faversham
- "WHAT THE SWEDISH BUTLER SAW! (X)". Entertainment Film Distributors. British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- BFI Groove Street
- Donald C. Willis, Horror and science fiction films II, Scarecrow Press, 1982, ISBN 0-8108-1517-6, p.161
- R. M. Hayes, 3-D movies: a history and filmography of stereoscopic cinema, McFarland, 1998, ISBN 0-7864-0578-3, p.205