Champaign Township, Champaign County, Illinois
Location in Champaign County
Champaign County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 8, 1859|
|• Total||18.64 sq mi (48.3 km2)|
|• Land||18.57 sq mi (48.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.2 km2) 0.38%|
|Elevation||715 ft (218 m)|
|• Density||583.4/sq mi (225.3/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0428786|
Champaign Township changed its name from West Urbana Township on April 30, 1860.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 18.64 square miles (48.3 km2), of which 18.57 square miles (48.1 km2) (or 99.62%) is land and 0.07 square miles (0.18 km2) (or 0.38%) is water. The streams of Copper Slough and Phinney Branch run through this township.
Cities and towns
- Savoy (west three-quarters)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
Airports and landing strips
- University of Illinois Heliport
In addition to the University of Illinois, Champaign Township is also home to a Kraft Foods plant (and adjacent AC Humko plant). The township's major employers include The University of Illinois, Champaign Unit #4 School District, and Kraft Foods. Numerous township residents are also employed by Parkland College, Kirby Foods, Christie Clinic, Devonshire Group LLC, Amdocs, Hobbico and Horizon Hobby, all of which are in the adjacent city of Champaign, Illinois, as well as by Carle Clinic Association and Provena Health, located in nearby Urbana, Illinois.
- "Champaign Township, Champaign County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
||Mahomet Township||Hensley Township||City of Champaign|
|Scott Township||Urbana Township|
|Colfax Township||Tolono Township||Philo Township|