Chanda Kochhar at the India Economic Summit 2011 in Mumbai, India, 12–14 November 2011
November 17, 1961 |
|Occupation||CEO and MD, ICICI Bank(Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India)|
|Children||A son and a Daughter.|
Chanda Kochhar (born 17 November 1961) is the managing director (MD) of ICICI Bank and its chief executive officer (CEO). ICICI Bank is India's largest private bank and overall second largest bank in the country. She also heads the Corporate Centre of ICICI Bank.
Kochhar was born in Jodhpur, Rajasthan and raised in Jaipur, Rajasthan. She is an alumnus of St. Angela Sophia School, Jaipur. She then moved to Mumbai, where she joined Jai Hind College for a Bachelor of Arts degree. After graduating in 1982 she then pursued Cost Accountancy ICWAI, Later, she acquired the Masters Degree in Management Studies from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai. She received the Wockhardt Gold Medal for Excellence in Management Studies as well as the J. N. Bose Gold Medal in Cost Accountancy for highest marks in the same year.
In 1984, Kochhar joined the Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India Ltd. (ICICI). as a management trainee after her Master's degree. In her early years in ICICI, she handled Project Appraisal and Monitoring and projects in various industries like Textile, Paper and Cement.
In 1993, Kochhar was sent to ICICI bank as part of a core team to set the bank. She was promoted to Assistant General Manager in 1994 and then to Deputy General Manager in 1996. In 1996, Kochhar headed the newly formed Infrastructure Industry Group of ICICI, which aimed "to create dedicated industry expertise in the areas of Power, Telecom and Transportation". In 1998, she was promoted as the general manager and headed ICICI's “Major Client Group”, which handled relationships with ICICI's top 200 clients. In 1999, she also handled the Strategy and E-commerce divisions of ICICI. Under Kochhar's leadership, ICICI bank started the Retail business in July 2000 and emerged the largest retail financer in India, in the next five years. In April 2001, she took over as Executive Director, heading the in ICICI Bank. It took her ten years to get promoted to AGM, but suddenly within seven years beginning 1994, she got five successive promotions to become Executive director. Her rise through the ranks was spectacular.
In April 2006, Kochhar was appointed as Deputy Managing Director of ICICI Bank. She managed the Corporate and Retail banking business of ICICI Bank. From October 2006 to October 2007, she handled the International and Corporate businesses of ICICI Bank. From October 2007 to April 2009, Kochhar was also the bank's chief financial officer (CFO), Joint managing director (JMD) and the official spokesperson. She also headed the Corporate Centre of ICICI Bank. She is also a director of different ICICI group companies. She is the chairperson of ICICI Bank Eurasia Limited Liability Company and ICICI Investment Management Company Limited. Kochhar is the Vice-Chairperson of ICICI Bank UK PLC and ICICI Bank Canada. She is a director in ICICI International Limited and ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd. and part of the Governing Council in 1964. The ICICI Foundation for Inclusive Growth-Member.
Under Kochhar's leadership, ICICI Bank won the “Best Retail Bank in India” award in 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005 and “Excellence in Retail Banking Award” in 2002; both awards were given by The Asian Banker. Kochhar personally was awarded "Retail Banker of the Year 2004 (Asia-Pacific region)" by the Asian Banker, "Business Woman of the Year 2005" by The Economic Times and "Rising Star Award" for Global Awards 2006 by Retail Banker International. Kochhar has also consistently figured in Fortune's list of "Most Powerful Women in Business" since 2005. She climbed up the list debuting with the 47th position in 2005, moving up 10 spots to 37 in 2006 and then to 33 in 2007. In the 2008 list, Kochhar features at the 25th spot. In 2009, she debuted at number 20 in the Forbes "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list". She is the second Indian in the list behind the ruling Indian National Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi at number 13. In 2010, she fell to number 92 in the Forbes list, but in 2011 bounced back to 43.
Kochhar has also consistently figured in Fortune's list of "Most Powerful Women in Business" since 2005. In 2009, she debuted at number 20 in the Forbes "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list", and climbed to the 10th spot in 2010. In 2011, she featured in Business Today's list of the "Most Powerful Women – Hall of Fame". In 2011, she also featured in the "The 50 Most Influential People in Global Finance" List of Bloomberg Markets.
Kochhar was ranked as the most powerful business woman in India in Forbes' list of 'The World's 100 Most Powerful Women 2013'. Kochhar was also featured in the Power List 2013 of 25 most powerful women in India by India Today, for the third year in a row.
- India's ICICI names Chanda Kochhar CEO from May 09. Uk.reuters.com (2008-12-19). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Chanda Kochhar to head ICICI Bank. Business Standard (2008-12-19). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Ms. Chanda Kochhar, Joint Managing Director, ICICI Bank Limited. ICICI Bank official site
- Naazneen Karmali (19 August 2009). "The 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- ICICI was emerged into its daughter project ICICI Bank in 2002
- "Chanda Kochhar's Success Story".
- EXECUTIVE PROFILE: Chanda Kochhar BA, MMS, ICWAI. Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Chanda D. Kochar. Forbes. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- ICICI Bank board clears Kochhar as new MD. Indian Express (2010-02-24). Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "37. Chanda Kochhar". CNN. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "33.Chanda Kochhar". CNN. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "International Power 50". CNN. 29 September 2008. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list". Forbes. 9 September 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "World's 100 Most Powerful Women list". Forbes. August 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. 19 August 2009.
- "Indra Nooyi, Chanda Kochhar among most powerful biz women: Fortune". The Times of India. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The most powerful women in Indian business". Business Today. 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The 50 Most Influential People in Global Finance". Bloomberg Markets. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Padma Vibhushan for Montek Ahluwalia, Azim Premji". The Economic Times. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "ABLF Awards 2011 Winners". Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women 2013'". Forbes. May 2013.
- "Fortune names ICICI's Chanda Kochhar as most-powerful Indian woman in business". India Today. 16 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chanda Kochhar.|