|This article or section may be slanted towards recent events. (August 2012)|
Mohan was educated at the Lawrence School, Sanawar. He was dismissed from the State Cabinet for his prolonged absence from the office and resurfaced after marrying Anuradha Bali, alias Fiza (Urdu: فضا ) and converting to Islam with her and adopting the name Chand Mohammad (Urdu: چاند محمد ). The conversion was merely to facilitate a legal second marriage, as Hindus/Sikhs are not allowed multiple marriages in India. Some Muslim clerics protested the misuse of the tenets of Islam for "a marriage of convenience".
On 29 January 2009, Mohan left Ms. Bali, claiming that he still loved his first wife and his children and wanted to reunite with them. He is believed to have moved to the Haryana city of Gurgaon at that time.
Ms. Bali is a former Assistant Advocate General of Haryana who left her employment to marry Mohan in December 2008. She was found dead, apparently having committed suicide, on 6 August 2012  She was cremated on 7 August 2012 in Chandigarh according to Hindu rites by her relatives.
- Police investigation
Mohali police is clueless about mysterious circumstances leading to the death of Anuradha Bali. The police claimed that she had spoken to 8 people before her death and the last person she spoke to was Salim Alvi of Bulandshahar, who claimed to have been in constant touch with her. Salim also claimed that Bali had received death threats from some influential people in Haryana.
- Lawrence School, Sanawar alumni at indiatimes.com, accessed 26 March 2012
- Indian Express, article 'Finally Chander Mohan appears in public' 11 Dec 2008, retrieved 3 Feb 2009
- Chand Mohammed is Chander Mohan again
- Indian Express, article 'Fiza strikes back: Chand trapped, used, dumped me' 2 Feb 2009 retrieved 3 Feb 2009
- "Former Haryana CM's ex-wife Fiza found dead". Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Fiza Mohammed commits suicide". Indiavision news. Aug 7, 2012.
- "Fiza cremated in Chandigarh". 07-08-2012.
- "Anuradha Bali ‘Fiza’ had received death threats". 08-08-2012.