Chandigarh Air Force Base
चंडीगढ़ हवाई अड्डे
चंडीगढ़ एयर फोर्स बेस
|IATA: IXC – ICAO: VICG
|Operator||Indian Air Force/Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||1,012 ft / 308 m|
Chandigarh Airport (IATA: IXC, ICAO: VICG) is located in the Union Territory of Chandigarh (Capital city of Haryana and Punjab, India. It is listed as one of the major airports in North India. Work is underway for an International terminal. A total of 19 domestic flights connect Chandigarh to different destinations in India.
A new International Terminal is being built at Mohali. Work on the international terminal, upgrading of the domestic terminal, construction of three link taxiways, parallel taxi track, cargo complex and hangars of flying club activities and runway extension have been completed. The terminal will have 4 aero-bridges, construction of apron for parking three in contact and eight remote parking stands for wide-bodied jet aircraft. The project has both Punjab and Haryana as partners. The International terminal is located on 306 acres (1.238 km2) land in Jheorehri village, near Mohali. The Greater Mohali Area Development Authority is spending Rs 1,700 crore to connect this airport with Punjab.
Originally, it was proposed to name the airport as Mohali International Airport due to its proximity to the town of Mohali in Punjab. However, in 2008, Haryana demanded a stake in the airport, thus resulting in Punjab and Harayana reaching an agreement to name it Chandigarh International Airport. This airport would not be greenfield but the present Indian air force base would be used.
The project includes building an international terminal near the existing Chandigarh Indian Air Force base and further expansion of the domestic terminal. Also, the existing runway will be expanded to handle large passenger aircraft. 306 acres (1.238 km2) of land has been acquired by GMADA and the construction work was slated to begin by August 2009. Construction began in January 2010.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Delhi, Mumbai|
|GoAir||Bangalore, Goa, Mumbai|
|IndiGo||Ahmedabad, Goa, Mumbai|
|Jet Airways||Ahmedabad, Delhi, Mumbai, Jaipur, Leh|
|JetKonnect||Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai|
|SpiceJet||Delhi, Srinagar, Mumbai|
- Garewal, Naveen (2008-01-04). "Haryana forces stake in Mohali airport". Chandigarh: The Tribune. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Mera Chandigarh http://merachandigarh.in/mohali-news/gmada-chandigarh-international-airport-roads.html
- "No dispute over naming of Chandigarh airport: Haryana CM Hooda". Chandigarh: News Reporter. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Punjab, Haryana bicker over airport name - India - DNA
- "Punjab, Haryana slug it out over name of airport". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 14 January 2008.
- 2 years on, work begins on Chandigarh International Airport in Mohali - Indian Express
- Airport naming dispute
- Chandigarh Airport at AAI
- Chandigarh Airbase at Global Security
- Airport information for VICG at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.