C. P. Thakur
Chandreshwar Prasad "C P" Thakur (born 3 September 1931) is a current member of Rajya Sabha and Vice-President of Bhartiya Janata Party, a former minister in the Government of India,a physician and a leader of Bharatiya Janata Party. He was minister from 1999 to 2004 in the BJP government.
He was born in 1931 in Muzaffarpur District in Bihar in a Bhumihar Brahmin family. He got his education from Patna Medical College, Patna University, Royal College of Physicians, London and Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh and Royal College of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, London .
He is M.B.B.S., M.D., M.R.C.P., F.R.C.P. He stood first and received gold medal in M.B.B.S. Honours. He revolutionised the concept of treatment of Kala-azar and is recognised as an international authority in this field.
He has held the following government positions:
- 1984 Elected to Eighth Lok Sabha
- 1990-91 Chairman, Kala-azar Spot Assessment Committee Government of India
- 1990-93 Member, Advisory Committee on kala-azar Government of India
- 1991 Member, Expert kala-azar committee to formulate prevention programme for kala-azar, Government of India
- 1998 Member, Twelfth Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1998-99 Member, Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests; and its Sub-Committee on Ganga Action Plan Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of External Affairs
- 1999 Member, Thirteenth Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 22 Nov. 1999-26 May 2000 Union Cabinet Minister, Water Resources
- 27 May 2000-30 June 2002 Union Cabinet Minister, Health and Family Welfare
- 29 Jan. 2003-May 2004 Union Cabinet Minister, Small Scale Industries, Development of North-Eastern Region
- April 2008 Elected to Rajya Sabha from Bihar
- Aug. 2008 onwards Member, Committee on the Empowerment of Women
- Aug. 2008- May 2009 Member, Committee on Information Technology
- May 2009 onwards Member, Court of the Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Aug. 2009 onwards Member, Committee on Chemicals and Fertilizers Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- Aug. 2012 onwards Member, Committee on Information Technology
- Aug. 2012 onwards Member, Committee on Empowerment of Women
- Dynamics of Development (Editor and Contributor);
- Glimpses of Indian Technology (Co-author);
- World Trade Organization (author);
- Technical Report Series 791 up to 1990 (Geneva) Control of Leishmaniasis (joint author);
- Recent Trends in Leishmania Research (contributor);
- Text Book of Medicine—API Text Book of Medicine (Joint author);
- India Under Atal Bihari Vajpayee, B.J.P. Era .
He has also published more than 100 research papers in medical journals and more than 200 articles in the press.
- Padma Shree;
- BC Roy National Award, Indian Medical Council
- BKAIKET ORATION Award, Indian Council of Medical Research;
- P.N. Raju Oration Award (ICMR)
- biographical data from the Parliament of India
- "C.P. Thakur to get research award", The Hindu, November 25, 2003