|Region of origin||China|
"Chang" is also the Wade-Giles romanization of two Chinese surnames written Zhang in pinyin: one extremely common and written 張 in traditional characters and 张 in simplified characters and another quite rare and written as 章 in both systems, there is also a much even rare 鄭 in Hong Kong written as Chang as well. For full details on them, see the "Zhang" 章 and "Zheng" 鄭 article.
常 is romanized as Ch'ang in Wade-Giles, although the apostrophe is often omitted in practice. It is romanized as Soeng and Sheung in Cantonese; Seong and Siông in Minnan languages; and Sioh in Teochew. It is occasionally romanized Sōng and Thōng as well.
常 was unlisted among the most recent rankings of the 100 most common Chinese surnames in mainland China and on Taiwan, although it was the 94th-most-common surname during the 1982 Chinese census.
张 is the third-most-common surname in mainland China, making up 6.83% of the population of the People's Republic of China. Its Traditional Chinese variant 張 is the fourth-most-common surname in Taiwan, making up 5.26% of the population of the Republic of China.
"Chang" is a common Chinese surname in the United States, ranked 687th among all surnames during the 1990 census and 424th during the year 2000 census. It was ranked 11th among all surnames held by Asians and Pacific Islanders and 6th among all surnames held by Chinese Americans in 2000, well ahead of the pinyin variant "Zhang".
List of persons with the surname
- Fiction Characters
- Chang, a henchman in the James Bond film Moonraker played by the Franco-Japanese aikido instructor Toshiro Suga
- Cho Chang, a character in the Harry Potter novels officially Sinified as 张秋 (Zhang Qiu), sometimes alternately claimed by Cantonese Caos or even Korean Chos
||Constructs such as ibid., loc. cit. and idem are discouraged by Wikipedia's style guide for footnotes, as they are easily broken. Please improve this article by replacing them with named references (quick guide), or an abbreviated title. (October 2012)|
- "公安部统计：'王'成中国第一大姓 有9288万人 [Public Security Bureau Statistics: 'Wang' Found China's #1 'Big Family', Includes 92.88m People]." 24 Apr 2007. Accessed 27 Mar 2012.(Chinese)
- Op. cit. 中华百家姓-千字文-国学经典-文化经典. "中国台湾姓氏排行 [Taiwan (China) Surname Ranking]". 8 Jun 2010. Accessed 1 Apr 2012. (Chinese)
- US Census Bureau. Op. cit. Public Broadcasting Service. "How Popular Is Your Last Name?" Accessed 6 Apr 2012.
- United States Census Bureau. "Genealogy Data: Frequently Occurring Surnames from Census 2000". 27 Sept 2011. Accessed 29 Mar 2012.
- Baxter, Wm. H. & Sagart, Laurent. PDF (1.93 MB), p. 33. 2011. Accessed 11 October 2011.